Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Tip sound effects

8K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  skydalmt 
#1 ·
How much of an effect does a tip have on the sound of a straight pipe exhaust?

#4 · (Edited)
One time I had a build up of mud on my tip and a bit covered the opening and the sound was wicked when The exhaust "wind" passed through on the throttle i thought about welding a fin inside the end of the tip to duplicate that sound... I have a 5" straight pipe
and it sounds like a jet normally but wow what a difference!!!

#6 ·
bubb rubb is an idiot, could have killed someone driving on the wrong side of the road or running a stop sign of a speed obviously faster than the speed limit.

#14 ·
dirtymaxx03 switched his tip and didnt tell me and came over to my house, once again without telling me lol, and i heard the difference of noise from the inside of the house. i liked how his sounded so much more than mine that i ordered one for myself and i can hear tons of difference. its a deeper sound.

#13 ·
A buddy of mine has a 4.8 gasser and he claims the sound changed quite a bit by switching out tips on his. He's running a race muffler (so basically NO muffler :D), and still has the cat on. Personally I haven't had an experience with the tip changing the sound, but it makes sense. If the inside of the tip is larger than the piping on the exhaust, its going to resonate differently.

#15 ·
I am pretty sure a tip makes a difference in sound. I ran my exhaust for about a year or so with out a tip then finally I broke down and bought a tip. It sounded quite a bit different.

#16 ·
I dont think it would make a difference at all. Wouldnt make sense if it did IMO :rolleyes:

#20 ·
i noticed a deeper tone when i went from a six to a seven tip

#21 ·
A tip makes a big difference on sound, I love how mine sounds with the 6 in tip really deep sound

#22 ·
i get more cab drone with this 7in tip

#26 ·
I have a 5 in straight pipe turbo back and I was surprised how much difference in sound a tip made. It sounded like a jet with out it on, now with a 6inch tip on there it still sounds like a jet with a tad deeper rumble on idle. And in the 1800-2500rpm range i get a pretty deep rumble now. Above 2500rpm it sounds like a jet flying past you, scares the crap out of people when you lay into it right next to their driver side window :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.