Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, What i am looking for is all the info and tips for when at the strip that you guys do to get the best times and to prepare your trucks. I am looking at hitting the strip a decent amount this summer and want a heads start for when I get there in April. If there is another thread similar already started just point me to it but I couldn't find one, Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have er whistlin real good before you leave out and dont let up.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I am looking for is all the little things. Like what all are you taking out to drop weight, what tire pressure in front and back, on your first run do you go balls out w/ your race tune or take it easy the first pass. I know you want 10-12 psi when you launch and lower your front end all the way down from what I have read. I have ladder bars and alot of people just clamp their springs. I have read that you want to let off the brake on the second yellow(I think that was right). Do any of you guys trailer your trucks there and if so do you just drive around the pits for awhile to get up to temp. I just want to have everything covered when I get there.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
if you can avoid it DO NOT drive through the water box, dont worry about doing a burnout unless you wanna show off. lower tire pressure front and back i run about 30/25psi. begin spooling before you prestage and be at the boost level you want before you full stage. 10-15 psi range will usually be the best...

have torsion bars lowered until CV's are level.... don't trailer the truck you'll be fine to keep her warm...150-160 engine and 140 trans is all you need. as for which light to leave on you wanna leave on the last yellow but its something you have to get a feel for and work out on your own. shift into 4x4 before you get to the burnout box or before you roll to the line. when you line up make sure you tires are in the groove...you'll see the difference on the track surface. if your not sure watch other cars do it

whoever is on the exit side of the track is the first one to exit no matter who wins...

uhh ill keep thinking and add as i do

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Beech! I only live about 15 minutes from the track so I wasnt sure if I would drive it there or not. I was just thinking that if I towed it I would have my work truck there and all of my tools if I had to do some wrenching or if I broke and was unable to drive home.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Thanks Beech! I only live about 15 minutes from the track so I wasnt sure if I would drive it there or not. I was just thinking that if I towed it I would have my work truck there and all of my tools if I had to do some wrenching or if I broke and was unable to drive home.
eh i would say the chances of that are slim...even if something did happen only being 15 minutes away im sure you could get a ride from a bud or something if you needed it.

most tracks charge more for trailer vehicles the street ones... street car is 15 at my track trailered is 35

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I am not sure on that one. One the web site they just charge admission and then a fee if your racing.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
if you wanna get her light what you can do as well is remove the rear and passenger seat, tailgate, spare tire, one battery, hitch receiver and rear bumper, believe it or not it does make a difference figure every 200lbs to be about 1/10 off your time

also removing the front anti-sway bar will help the launch just a little

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
Ya I am not sure on that one. One the web site they just charge admission and then a fee if your racing.
well its only a phone call away....if you've never raced before your better off watching for the first hour or so and get a feel for how the track operates....every track is different.. maybe go with a friend who has raced before your first time

oh by the way another thing..DO NOT use air conditioning at all while on your way to or at the track...racers really dont like it when people drip water at the line

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found that out about the air on, it was actually my defrost and I didnt even realize it. I have raced there before. I took my duramax there and made 2 passes in 2wd last september and a few years back made a couple passes in my old dodge. But ya like you said, only a phone call away. I was planning on removing the tailgate, one battery, spare tire, and possibly some seats if they are not much of a pain.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
I found that out about the air on, it was actually my defrost and I didnt even realize it. I have raced there before. I took my duramax there and made 2 passes in 2wd last september and a few years back made a couple passes in my old dodge. But ya like you said, only a phone call away. I was planning on removing the tailgate, one battery, spare tire, and possibly some seats if they are not much of a pain.
yea do you have leather? i do and the back seats are mega stupid heavy...prob an easy 150lbs... its all easy if you have an 18mm deep socket and an extender or 2 for the nuts.

do you tow often with the truck? big loads?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
always listen for your class to be called or you will miss a run and if you miss first round your out. donot block others in with your truck when you park as they will dismantle it to move it out of thier way. watch out for cars with big scoops as they cant see around it very well going around the pits. besure to get into the correct staging lane also

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No my seats are cloth w/ seat covers. I dont tow alot but the truck sits at home and maybe once a month the wife pulls a little 2 place bumper pull horse trailer and then she pulls a maybe 21' gooseneck horse trailer 2-4 times a month in the summer. Its not all that heavy though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will probably be going just mainly on test and tune nights so you just get in a lane and they will point at you when its your turn.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
No my seats are cloth w/ seat covers. I dont tow alot but the truck sits at home and maybe once a month the wife pulls a little 2 place bumper pull horse trailer and then she pulls a maybe 21' gooseneck horse trailer 2-4 times a month in the summer. Its not all that heavy though.
if you feel like doing a project you can pull the overload springs and maybe one of the normal springs from the pack...those are really really and since you have bars axle wrap wont be problem. plus it will ride nicer:D

im only running 2 of the original 4 leafs and removed the overloads :eek:

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
You forgot one thing Beech, hold on tight!

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
He didnt let go until after the 1/8th. :neener

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A little off subjetc but I am planning on doing the pump rub fix this summer and was curious if the Suncoast Tcase brace is worth while? I also have not been able to find one anywhere, even on Suncoast's site.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And I really dont want to remove any leafs since I do tow some with the truck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts