Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
641 - 660 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
How about with the stock wheels?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank You.

·
Registered
105 Posts
OK I dont feel like reading through 65 pages. Im pretty tired right now. Back on subject, I have a 2011 3500 Dually that is leveled on lift keys. My Michelins are now cracked after this freeze we had here in Houston. Not too happy about that. I dont want to replace the wheels, I just want a bigger tire (not too much bigger) than stock. I dont care if I have to run spacers, I actually kind of like that look, but I want a tire that will fit the stock rim correctly. What load rang E A/T tires do yall recommend and what size should I get. What size spacers do I need to order? The blue GMC is mine in its current form and the white one is the style I am after, but with an A/T Load Range E tire

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
New rubber. Michelin Defenders. The truck is stock height with no fender mods. LT275/65R/20E 126/123R

Plasti Dip got wrecked, of course. Got to grab some more.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
New shoes and socks! :grin2:

285/70-17 Cooper Discoverer ATP on 17" MB TKO wheels with Chaos wheel caps (instead of the "frisbee" TKO caps).

Also, I put on Sulastic springs and the Sulasic lowering kit in the rear.

Reactions: Minerigger

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tire size

Hey guys, I have a 2013 4x4 Crew cab leveled. I am currently running 305-55-20 tires on them. I have researched and found a set of 33X12.50-20 for a good price and they are very similar in measurements. Can I run these without a rpoblem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I would look on TireRack for the dimensions of the two sizes and see how they match up. You may even be able to find info on the exact tires you are concerned with. Then I would look at the clearance under your fenders and go from there. I doubt anyone can tell you for certain if they are compatible. Sometimes you have to take a chance.

The real problem with comparing tires from two different measurement schemes and two different manufacturers is that the profile is not exactly the same so even if the measurements look good there can be a problem due to different tire shapes. If you have lots of room with your current tires then there shouldn't be a problem if the two sizes are close. If you don't have much room then only trying will tell.

If you are getting a really good deal on the new tires then it isn't much of a risk to give them a try. You could possible resell them at a similar price if they don't work out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a '15 GMC Denali 2500 Dmax with the 20" wheels and 265/60-20 Goodyears. I need new tires and was wanting to size up a little but the next E rated tire in the Michelin Defender is 285/60-20. It's only an inch taller, an inch wider but my tire guy says from what he has heard tht I should stay with the 265/60 because of rubbing issues if I don't turn up the torsion keys. The wheel well does look too small for the truck. What is your opinions and experience?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Going up one inch is not much of an increase considering half of it is on the outside and half on the inside. If you are on good terms with your tire guy he might even let you try them on for only the cost of mounting and balancing.

It's when you go for a couple inches taller and wider that problems really multiply. When I was in GM school we were told that all GM vehicles at the time had to have room in the wheel wells for tire chains. The guy telling us this said it even applied to things like Corvettes. If that is still the case (it's been 30 years) then what you are proposing is no more than using up the tire chain space.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Get on any of the tire manufactures websites they have all the specs you’ll need including recommended rim width.
Just go thru the tires your interested in and check the recommended rim widths.

Most of the tire shops these days will NOT put a real wide tire on a stock smaller than recommended rim width.

With the exception of maybe a place like Sanford & Son, :grin2: they might. :wink2:

You could also click on the link below and enter the tire size you now have and the size your interested in, all the specs you’ll need to compare and figure this out.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

·
Registered
7 Posts
2017 Denali with 20" Wheels - Michelin AT/2 275/60-20 or Michelin 285/65-20

Like others - tried reading most of the posts, but never found the exact answer for my 2017:

Has anyone with stock 2017 Denali 20" wheels gone with the Michelin LTX AT/2's without having to change anything, in either of the sizes listed above (the 2nd being the OEM F250 size)? As much as I'd like to lift or even level my 2017 4x4, it's primarily a family hauler that gets occasional use hauling a buggy (i.e. as far off road as I go is to tow the buggy cross country or to the trailhead, so don't need an overly aggressive tire). Recent trip out west really revealed how fast the Good Years wear out when towing - and that was with just with the bed loaded and pulling about 7,000/8,000 lbs. May also be towing a 14,000 lb two car hauler - and can just picture the Good Years evaporating.

Willing to turn the bars up and realign the front if that's what it takes to fit the 285/65's - but seeing the 275/60's got me to wondering if anyone had experience with either....

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
...and yes, the link in the previous post was damn helpful, when combined with reading a prior opinion that GM once contemplated chains when factoring in wheelwell size - so at plus 1" sidewall with a minimal section width increase, I'd assume the 285's would fit....so just looking for feedback/thoughts and opinions on the Michelin LTX AT/2's.

Current
New
Difference
Sidewall Height:
6.26''
7.29''
1.03''
Section Width:
10.43''
11.22''
0.79''
Tire Height:
32.52''
34.58''
2.06''
Tire Circum:
102.16''
108.64''
6.48''
Rev. / Mile:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just traded in my 13 2500(leveled with factory rims and 295/60r20son it when I bought it) for a 19 High Country.

I’m going to level the new one and am thinking about keeping the stock HC wheels and going the 295/60r20 on this one as well. I had some rubbing when turning sharp to the left on the 13 with that setup.

Any thoughts on my options? Would love to not have the rubbing if possible. Thoughts on me keeping the stock HC wheels with a more aggressive stance tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
By any chance did you measure the tire clearances when turning on your 2013 before you got rid of it ?
Unless someone has done something similar all I can suggest is to measure these clearances on your 2019 with the tires turning that’s on it now, then compare the tire size differences using the link below entering both tire sizes.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
DRCs advise is good but keep in mind that your suspension will flex when actually turning so even if the measurement says it will clear it may rub. It would be best not to push it to the limit unless you want to play with spacers and trimming in the future. Perhaps turn the wheel to the limit with the tire sitting on a block to get an idea of where the clearance is going to be in a real turn on rough ground with the truck bouncing around some.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
To get a better idea on clearance you’ll need to check with the tire on the ground.
If you have less than about 1/2 clearance it’ll probably rub on a sharp turn with suspension flexing.
With the tire off the ground you’ll have all kinds of room.
My 285’s on a 8.5” wide rim with standard off-set (I think it was a -18) I had about 3/8” clearance on a full turn.
Sometimes it’d rub a little depend on if I was flat or the suspension was flexing going up into a driveway.

My 295’s 1 1/2” wider tire but the same height (as my 285’s) but with a 9” rim one size up with I think it was 0 offset pushing the tire out for inside clearance, I have about 1/4” -3/8” clearance with a full sharp turn my tire slightly rubs.
Normal turn it doesn’t rub.

I always get mixed up on positive and negative offset, don’t mess with it unless I’m buying rims.

Reactions: mizterwizard

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The offset thing is hard to get a handle on. It messes me up to. I think of it with the tire laying on the ground and the center moving. If the center moves up it is +. If it moves down it is -. I still have to think about it pretty hard though to keep it straight.

·
Registered
942 Posts
2007.5-10 GM 2500/3500HD GMT900 SRW Trucks
17x7.5" Wheel w/ +28 Off Set / 5.531 Back Spacing
These be the wheels i'm running. However, if i understand your post about backspace, how do you calculate 5.531?

Backspace, as i understand it from here, is = (rim width/2) + offset.
I must not be mathing right b/c 7.5/2 + (28/25.4) = 4.85". If 5.531 is correct, what am I missing?

641 - 660 of 682 Posts