Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I turn off the tpms on my neighbors 08 Chevy lmm. He bought new wheels and they didn't come with the new sensors

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Wish I could find away to turn mine off as well

Sent from my DROIDX

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
I don't believe so, this is a safety system.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I took 1-1/4" PVC, glued pressure caps on them, tapped the end with an air valve, put the TPMS sensors inside, and boosted the tube. I found it has to sit upright in my centerconsole to be detected all the time for some reason; wouldn't work sitting horizontal in my glovebox. I always run my tires on low PSI unless towing and they would always trip.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
uhhh why not just use the sensors off of his current wheels?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I took 1-1/4" PVC, glued pressure caps on them, tapped the end with an air valve, put the TPMS sensors inside, and boosted the tube. I found it has to sit upright in my centerconsole to be detected all the time for some reason; wouldn't work sitting horizontal in my glovebox. I always run my tires on low PSI unless towing and they would always trip.
Got any pics of this?

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
Efi live can't help you here. He can either have his old ones put in or buy new ones to put in. Otherwise he has to live with the light.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Efi live can't help you here. He can either have his old ones put in or buy new ones to put in. Otherwise he has to live with the light.
What if you just take the bulb out of the dash?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I want to know how it knows wheel location. Because if they are coded differently then they should be wrong when you do a tire rotation

·
Registered
544 Posts
I want to know how it knows wheel location. Because if they are coded differently then they should be wrong when you do a tire rotation
That is correct and they need to be programmed as to their location by releasing air from the valve stem.

I don't know how that pressurized tube thing works I dont think it is possible I could be wrong. But not from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
184 Posts
Got any pics of this?
No, but it's pretty simple! Still working to this day. No more dash light or low pressure indicator in the HUD when I first start it up.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That is correct and they need to be programmed as to their location by releasing air from the valve stem.

I don't know how that pressurized tube thing works I dont think it is possible I could be wrong. But not from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone
Well I was wandering. However mine are 5-8 psi low from actual tire pressures, and I base that off of my company digital calibrated tire pressure guage.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I believe that the wheel sensors are not programmed to each rim. Thats why you are able to rotate the rims without any problems. I use a TPS system on my 5ver that is wheel specific. If you rotate them, then you either re-program or put that sensor on the right tire/rim.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm thinking there has to be some type otherwise it could'nt tell you front /rear, left /right.....
BUT...we all know I've been wrong before:rof

·
Registered
544 Posts
I believe that the wheel sensors are not programmed to each rim. Thats why you are able to rotate the rims without any problems. I use a TPS system on my 5ver that is wheel specific. If you rotate them, then you either re-program or put that sensor on the right tire/rim.
They do have to be programmed on all my 08/09/10 3/4 ton gmc's they need to be reprogrammed when the tires are rotated. It
is a simple process that only takes a few minutes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts