Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I has some 285/75/16 tires put on my truck and when I left the tire shop all the tire sensors were reading, I had to put more air in when i got home and they were still working.
That was on Sat. I got to looking in the manual and saw where you had to go though a relearn process if you tires are changed or rotated.
So yesterday I started to go through the procedure for relearning the wheel positions.
I made it to the 3rd wheel and it wouldn't take, and it was saying to service the sensor monitor.
I took it to the dealer and they said that all 4 sensors were bad from where i had tires put on. I took it back to the tire shop and they showed me that there tire machine is a NO TOUCH machine and the guy that did it was aware of them. I was standing there the whole time while he was changing them.

I went back to the dealer and told them what was going on and made sure they knew that they were working after i had the tires changed.
They worked for 4 days until I tried to do the relearn.

Sorry this is so long but does anyone know or have had trouble with this before?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
ya those little guys are a nightmare for us tire guys to work with and if you don't relearn them in a certain amount of time after they have been moved around you can mess up the computer chip so i'm guessing they'll have to reflash the TPS and then you should be fine..
TPS=Tire Pressure System

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem happen to me today. I ordered stock 17" rims and tires and they installed them on 10/10. I had only driven it 5 miles or so. Today I had to drive 20 miles and I got the warning saying the sensor system needed maintenance. I think ther may be a problem with the sensors. Im taking mine to the stealer in the morning and I will let you know what they say or do.:mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you take it in and they tell you that they are not working. Go home and disconnect you batterys for about 20 min and hold the key in the start position for about 15 seconds the reconnect the battery and take it back to the dealer.

After they told me that they were all broke I did this and when I took it back to them all 4 sensors came back on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bypass the sensors. I went through the same thing for two months when I put my lift on. I went to the dealer three times with no help. I may be wrong but I don't have the patience for all that crap. Bypass it and buy a $10.00 tire gauge!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked if the system could be turned off or something. but they said it couldn't be done becasue it would affect the abs and other things, and I would have the light and message on all the time.
I don't care much for that system anyways.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tire Pressure Monitor

TYREBOYZ_DEMAXIN was right. When I took mine to the dealer all they did was reset the TPS and set it to the tire size.

·
Registered
27 Posts
tps

Sorry i posted a question somewhere else, but i didn't see this first i should have looked closer. Any way i have a 07.5 2500 with 18'' wheels with 35'' tires. And the stupid tps is always coming on and going out is there a way to bypass it or recalibrate it for the different wheels and tires has anyone found a solution to this. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tpms

I had the dealer put different tires on mine when I bought it and they asked me what pressure I want to run in them so they could set the TPMS range for the new tire pressure. So it seems the range CAN be adjusted. Does anyone know how to do it? I didn't see anything in the manual and I didn't get a chance to ask them how they did it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cant be done at home. I had to go to the local dealer and they took care of it. He told me it would take an hour but was done in 10 min.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is a Oakie way that I have heard of people doing this. They would remove the sensors from the wheels, wrap them in duct tape/electrical tape and mount them somewhere under the truck, on the frame, put them in the glove box. This way then the sensors can still send the signal back to the trucks system and not through the light back on. Talk about backyard mechanics. But a quick fix.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
wouldn't they be alerting about 0 pressure all the time then

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your right that does not make any sense. I will have to ask these guys how they were able to pull it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want to run aftermarket tires and wheels just take your truck to a dealer that knows his [email protected]? from his elbow. I put 275/55/r20 on my 07.5 chevy in the summer then take them off for the winter so salt dosn't mess them up. my dealer has changed them out for me 3 times already with no problems. cost me about $70 but no questions on warrenty if something happens, the dealer recalibrates everything, rests the TPMS to what ever psi I want to run. And it only takes about an hour!! I called from coast to coast when i bought the wheels to see how to get around this and know one knew,finaly the little dealership up the street knew, and it wasn't brain surgery to them!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chevy HD2500 TPMS Issues. AGain!

I have to ask the same question. I recently had Eagle GT2's put on my truck (Wrong Rated Tires) and had aftermarket sensors put on. The dealer was able to set them up fine and the light went off. Well, now that I have the correct rated tires on (Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/55/20) The dealer has it again to re-program it and they are advising that they cannot get a read on 3 of the 4 tires and that I have to live with the light. Does anyone have any information on how to fix this or is it something that I am going to have to live with? Thanks for any help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts