Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a new set of rims & new tire pressure sensors,I was wondering if you have to re-program something to make the new sensors work or do they re-learn themselves...Also what do you have to do when you rotate them ???

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody ???

·
Registered
141 Posts
They have to be relearned... There is a tool that the dealer used on mine... I think I am getting ready to replace mine because the left front and left rear come on and off think the battery might be going bad or they got moisture in them...

Also I have heard you can put the truck in learn mode and let air out of each tire and the system will learn too....I have not tried tihs as of yet...

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Also I have heard you can put the truck in learn mode and let air out of each tire and the system will learn too....I have not tried tihs as of yet...

The tire relearn is in the DIC on the NBS trucks.. And ya, it does involve letting air out of the tires.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yea I was told in the manual we can change that on our DIC. Have not yet. Just did new rims tires as well. Got sensors from discount tire direct and they were CHEAP and just installed today. Didn't have to do a thing they read fine.

·
Registered
592 Posts
might want to buy 1 or 2 extra for down the road if you can get em cheap, those damn things break real easy

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Got sensors from discount tire direct and they were CHEAP and just installed today. Didn't have to do a thing they read fine.
got any more details? cost, part #?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I didnt have to do anything with mine either just put them in and air them up. I figured that the ones from the dealer were cheap :confused:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I didnt have to do anything with mine either just put them in and put some air in them. I figured that the ones from the dealer were cheap :confused:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a bunch guys...:drink

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK here is the process to make the sensors re-learn
-After you replace rims & tires
-Over inflate them
-Turn ignition to run
-Do not start
-Hold your lock/unlock buttons on your remote locks until you hear 2 chirps
-start letting air out of your drivers side front tire until you hear your horn chirp
-do the same with the drivers side rear until you hear a chirp
-now do the same with the passenger side rear
-now the passenger side front
-turn ignition to the off position
-restart truck & you are finished

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Nice... good info there.

I'll re-edit the title of this so people can find it easier.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I always found it easier top put air into the tires to get the sensors to "relearn". I usually let some air out then get the "relearn" set up and put air back in. They seem to read this more effectivley then when letting air out. Just my personal experiences with them as I found it a pain in the EDIT the first few times when letting the air out and getting the sesnors to pick up the new location.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Wow jsut read the post on how to re-learn the sensors.. This needs to be a sticky. I am going outside to do that now. Awsome. One of them has been giving me trouble since I put these new wheels on

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
OK here is the process to make the sensors re-learn
-After you replace rims & tires
-Over inflate them
-Turn ignition to run
-Do not start
-Hold your lock/unlock buttons on your remote locks until you hear 2 chirps
-start letting air out of your drivers side front tire until you hear your horn chirp
-do the same with the drivers side rear until you hear a chirp
-now do the same with the passenger side rear
-now the passenger side front
-turn ignition to the off position
-restart truck & you are finished
Just used this and thank you so damn much man I was so damn tired of the dash light..

HOWEVER! It doesn't go from DF/DR/PF/PR (Driver Front, Rear and so on)

I did that order and it had the tires all wrong so you have to go:
Driver Front
Passanger Front
Driver Rear
Passanger Rear

That is the order for my truck at least. I checked a few times by lettin air out of the tire I wanted and checked my dash and that was right. So I would imagine all trucks the same. Just incase someone needs to do that and wonder why they have 62 on there driver side and 70 in there passanger side haha

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
^^^ Yeah, the order is : driverside front, passenger side front, passenger side rear, then driverside rear....

Your parking lights will come on individually tellin you which tire is next in line.. I could never get them to comunicate by just letting air out... But Discount tire has some type of tool and they got it to relean in under 2 minutes !!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
^^^ Yeah, the order is : driverside front, passenger side front, passenger side rear, then driverside rear....

Your parking lights will come on individually tellin you which tire is next in line.. I could never get them to comunicate by just letting air out... But Discount tire has some type of tool and they got it to relean in under 2 minutes !!
Good info man.. I did something weird hard to type and explain but I think that is right the order you said. Thats awsome i did not know the lights blinked for what corner! Stupid me didn't look but didn't expect it. I did the front 2 in that order and then before I got the the back drivers it beeped like I did another and I was like WTF so I did the rear I was at and when i did that one it said it was done so maybe because the pass rear was already at pressure from me doing it the first time it was fine. Either way it was spot on and lefts are leftsa nd rights are rights. I got my valve stems from Discount tire direct for an AWSOME price shipped quick too. I suggest to all go right there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Awesome info. Thanks a bunch. My light has been on a couple weeks since I rotated the tires. This will save many trips to the dealership

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts