Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Opinions please...

Looking into replacing the factory rubber with something in the way of an AT Tire of a slightly larger size. Keeping in mind that this is a 4x2 and I am looking for a tire that will allow me to drive thru wet grass with some sucess. I also am not wanting the kill the mpg by going to a huge tire or radical tread pattern.

First tire that comes to mind is the BFG AT that's been around for 100 years. These apprear to have a great overall reputation. I am also considering Mickey Thompson Tires as shown here.

Factory sized tires are 215/85/16

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaATZRadialTrad

Please comment on brand, model and size and throw in your own experiences with a given set of tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
BF Goodrich AT's

I've been cosistently impressed with the performance of these tires. I've owned 3 sets on 3 different trucks and have bought another tire only once to be quickly reminded why I keep coming back to the BF AT. I would think that a 245 would be about right on the size?

·
Registered
855 Posts
New tires

I have had 4 sets of BFG A/T's and 2 sets of BFG M/T's, never had problems with any of them. I got about 35-40,000 miles out of my last set of mud terrains on my previous duramax. For your truck you could go as big as a 265/75R16 without having to mess with anything and keep from destroying your gas mileage. The next size down would be a 245/75R16 which is roughly the same height tires you have now but slightly wider. Both the mickey's and the BFG's come in E load ranges in both 265's and 245's. I think the mickey's would be just as good as the BFG's. Your choice!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll have to second BFG AT's. Be sure to get E load (very important) range 245/85's or 265/75's.

I've owned cooper discovery, Sport king A/T's and now on my 3rd set of BFG A/T's. You can't beat the look, and on/offroad capability for 2wheel driving.

G'luck - they'll run ya about 185 or more unless you have a discount somewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I contact TireRack.com and inquired about going with a 245/75/16 and they somewhat refused to quote me a price. He said that I should not up-size because of the dual-wheel/tires on the rear and that the tires may touch each other.

I've see many Duallys with larger tires and even to the point of the tires touching (tire to tire) a bit at the base of the tires. Is this really a problem or is TireRack being overly cautious?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
You dont want the tires continusouly touching carrying a load, they rub building heat and cloud in some rare instances cause a blow out, i used to run 235/85/16's on my old dually they would touch a bit when i hit a bump in the road with a load on but other than that it was ok! My self i had the best luck on my dually with LT235/85/16E cooper discoverer st tires, they looked great, and i had 24k on them when i got rid of the truck and they still had about 6/32 of tread left on them. I also rotated them every 5k so that helps with getting good miles out of them!

Just my oppinion, but bfg at's wont last long on the rear of a dually, they are a soft tread, and the constant scrubing of the tires on the road when u turn will make real short life of them!!

Hope this helps,
Caleb

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
you need the right size

the size your truck came with oem is a 215-85R16 (30.6-8.50R16)the size u should go with is 235-85R16 (31.5-8.50R16) u could run a 245-75R16 (30.5-9.50R16) but that would be a little to wide for duals,the tire i would recomend is the bridgestone dueller revo price is roughly $170 each.compliments of R&J's Tire

1 - 10 of 10 Posts