Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a travel trailer transporter so I put about 120k mi a year on my Las truck and am wondering which direction I should go after the stock tires wear out. I'd like to move up to an alloy 18 and 275/70. Weight will be about the same as the steelys and 245/75 17 so might get a bump in mpg. The 18 tires are a bit pricier and at 3 sets a year that can add up. I'd like to know what kind of miles people are getting out of 265/275/285s and any kind of mileage change and stock v aftermarket setup is. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also what are some other good LT tire options that would be a good mix of appearance, mpg, wear, and cost

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not do a 19.5 setup? Better mileage out of a 19.5 than any 18 made
I've considered going with a 245/70/19.5. The 225 I had on my dually wore better than 1/32 to 10k mi and I saw about 1mpg gain unloaded but tracked really bad and was horrible in wet weather but it was a closed shoulder Bridgestone

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Well I wouldn't think you're going to see better mpg's with a wider tire, only worse. Wider tire=more surface area and more resistance. Weight does play a part but very little when you're talking about a truck that weighs what it goes and has as many much power as they do. Depending on what type of tire you're looking for they're are plenty of good tires that will last you 60-70k miles with a good rotation regimen. Are you looking for a highway tire only or an all terrain type tire?

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
265/70's I really like the cooper atz, but I think a better highway tire is what you are after. The general grabber is a 60,000 tire and really performs well towing, freeway and mpg's. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
265/70's I really like the cooper atz, but I think a better highway tire is what you are after. The general grabber is a 60,000 tire and really performs well towing, freeway and mpg's. Just my .02

I've heard the Grabbers are good, also heard good things about the Nitto DuraGrappler but never ran them myself. I think they have a 60K warranty too.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill prob go with the 265 for cost. Cooper at3 and ATP both have really good reviews in that size and the general has good reviews in the 275. Think I might try the grabber. They look like the have the best blend of at and highway

Hows your boys truck coming?

·
Registered
52 Posts
What size can we go up to on a 07.5 without messing with the front suspension. Im looking at Michelin LTX2. thanks

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Ill prob go with the 265 for cost. Cooper at3 and ATP both have really good reviews in that size and the general has good reviews in the 275. Think I might try the grabber. They look like the have the best blend of at and highway

Hows your boys truck coming?
that a good choice bfaucett. They ride great and tow great. My father in law has 45k on his set and he tows a 31ft fith wheel all over the US!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts