Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to my truck and new to this forum. I have searched , the best I know how, and can't seem to find the answer im lookin for. I want to know what the largest tire I can run on my STOCK 2001 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax / Allison. I have seen as big as 315's mentioned but no mention of any lift or rubbing. Any help would be apreciated. Also any suggestions on brands!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I run BFG 285-75-16 All-Terrain TA's on the stock wheels. They are about 32.5 inches tall and still have a couple inches clearance around the fender arch. You could probably run 35 inchers but when you turn your tires lock-to-lock they might rub the suspension or inner fender. You will have to modify your turning stops to prevent this or suffer some tire damage. Also, if you have a long wheel base crew cab it takes away from your already limited turning radius.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have seen very very few stock HD chevy's be able to clear 35's.....most of them have hacked up something somewhere

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
285s are the biggest you can fit without major hacking or cranking of the torsion bars. If you run stock rims they will fit with little or no trimming. You will probably have to tie back the parking brake cable, the fender liner in front of it, and at least reshape the fender liner in the front on the driver's side. Also, if you have stock mudflaps, you will probably have to trim a corner off of there. Check out the photos in my signature. It is on a GMC, so if you have a chevy, you may not have to do as much to yours. I believe the chevy's have less clearance problems. When I had my tires on stock rims, I had only a minor rub if I hit a bump at full lock on the mudflaps. Now I run 16x8" rims with no mudflaps and don't rub hardly at all....only on very rare occations.

Reactions: nashguy207

·
Registered
11 Posts
I spoke with the my dealer rep yesterday and was told that changing the tires size could cause the warranty to be voided if there was any motor or transmission problems with respect to the Allison transmission! He went on to say that GM is under a lot of pressure to come up with a software solution to change the shift points on the Allison so people would have some real options without effecting the warranty. He told me he would be meeting with the GM rep in the next couple of weeks to discuss the problem...

I told him for 45K I should have some other options beside skateboard wheels and tires!:confused:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah I have to say out of all the "HD" trucks the chevy looks the least heavy duty body wise and especially with the little tires they put on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts