Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what tire size and brand would you guys recommend for 16in and 17in factory rims?
and what does offset mean?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
in the 16" wheel you can fit a 285-75R16 but you will need to turn the T/Bars up but if you would rather not then go with the 265-75R16..with the 17" wheel the 285-70R17 will fit only if you lift the T/Bars but then again if you rather not turn the T/Bars up go with a 265-70R17..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok if i go with the 285/75/16, im going to have to lift the torsion bar, but do i have to lift the truck?

if anybody have his tire size, what kinda rims do you guys have?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
With 285/75-16, you might have to crank the torsion bars a little bit. Mostly you can get away with just trimming a little bit and using zipties to tie back the fenderliner. I am running eagle alloy 187 with 4.5" backspace. they stick out a little bit. I didn't crank the torsions much if at all. I had them cranked for one day and then took it back to the alignment place and they lowered it back down. I can't run front mudflaps in this configuration, but on stock tires I did, just trimmed the mudflaps a little bit. Pictures are in my garage and check out my signature for more truck pics.

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
I'm running 285/70/17 BFG's on 17x8 Moto Metal 954's. I had to crank the t-bars and do some trimming and then have it aligned. I still need to do a little more trimming. If you don't wanna crank the bars then go with 265's.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
I agree the biggest you can go with alot of mods is a 285/75/16 but that killed my gas mileage! Id look at a 265/75/16 I went with the Bridgestone dueler A/T. The Dueler REVO A/T is a awesome tire is well.

The offset is if you turn your rim upside down and put a straight edge from side to side on the rim. Then measure the depth from the straight edge to the section of the wheel that touches the spindle or axle. It basically measures how far out the wheel sits :cool:

I still get confused with positive and negative offset :confused:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you guys have an offset with the 265/75/16?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Well if you use stock rims, you will have nothing to worry about. I had very little trimming and tying to do with the stock rims which are 5.5" BS IIRC. My Eagle alloys are 4.5" BS with +2mm offset. I am pretty sure that if you went with 265s on this rim, you might still need some trimming/tying of the fenderliner. I'm not sure about running mudflaps. Basically if you are looking at aftermarket rims and you don't want any trimming or the tires to stick out very much....you have to stay around a 5.5" backspacing. You have to take into account for the width of the rims....with the stock 6.5" wide rims (2500HD) and the BS with 5.5", there is only about an inch that sticks beyond the lug mounting area. Where with my 8" wide rims and 4.5" BS, there is about 3.5" that stick out past the lug mounting area. If you haven't already, look at my pics in the garage and in my signature. I have what my truck looked like before I changed out rims and after I changed them out at the link in my signature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Newbie??

Got a new to me 06 CC LBZ trying to get my brain wrapped around this diesel truck world. It already had on it 285/75 tires. Does over size tires void warranty? How can you tell if the torsion bars have been altered in anyway? At 70MPH on the speedo my GPS says I'm doing 73MPH ~ 4% Why/How do the oversize tire alledgedly hurt fuel mileage looks like the worst it would do is be miscalculated by the computer by 4%
thanks for any info.

·
Super Moderator
6,060 Posts
Got a new to me 06 CC LBZ trying to get my brain wrapped around this diesel truck world. It already had on it 285/75 tires. Does over size tires void warranty? How can you tell if the torsion bars have been altered in anyway? At 70MPH on the speedo my GPS says I'm doing 73MPH ~ 4% Why/How do the oversize tire alledgedly hurt fuel mileage looks like the worst it would do is be miscalculated by the computer by 4%
thanks for any info.
Most people fix the speedo and odometer with a programer so they are useing the correct mileage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own an 06 2500HD 4x4 and put 285x75R16 BFG All Terain Tires on the original rims and had to do no adjustments to the t/bars. I love them. Gives the truck a tougher look, and I can still fit in the parking garges in the cities.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts