Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2001 Chevrolet 2500 HD LT 6.6 4X4Duramax. Needs tires soon. Currently LT285 75R16 M+S on it. Any suggestions for good highway tire? No off roading. Will be towing 8,000 lb. fifth wheel. Anyone with experience with Michelin LTX M/S??? I've used Michelins before on Pathfinder and got great ride and mileage.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
You can also go with bridgestone dueler revos. They were pretty quiet on my last truck and did pretty good in the snow and ice in alaska.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Look at Toyo Open Country H/T ..... High mileage - quite ride........

:Bullwhip:

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
well theres quite a few avalible in that size to fit that application but the Michelin will be the best wearing but also the most $$$ so it depends how much $$ you want to spend.here are a few that will do a good job for ya,
Toyo Open Country AT,Cooper Discover ATR,Dayton Timberline AT2,Genral Grabber AT2,Firestone Destination AT,Bridgestone Dueller Revo,Michelin LTX AT2,Mastercraft Courser AT2 and the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour PG and one of the only ones built in a LR E(10ply)in the 285-75R16..hope this helps

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am a big fan of the BFG allterains the last set i had got almost 80000 miles out of them. I have had four or five sets of them on different trucks and have had good luck. they are expensive about $800 for 285/75R16 and you can get them in a 10 ply, unless my tire guy lied, i am putting some on this truck as soon as these tires wear out. If you want to save some money the Dayton Timberline AT rides and wears pretty good also

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks All! This forum is great. I appreciate the recommendations and will check out several brands. Always interested in saving money wisely. You've been a big help.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
they are expensive about $800 for 285/75R16 and you can get them in a 10 ply, unless my tire guy lied
yes the BFG's are avalible in a LR E(10ply)but they are very expensive..

it is recomended to have a LR E tire on a diesel truck but if you notice a 285 LR D is rated roughly for the same amount of weight as a 245(stock tire)LR E tire so i would go off the weight rateings verse trying to find a 285 LR E tire..just a thought

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My truck has Mastercraft D's on it now. It shows signs of having two different fifth wheel hitches in it. So I believe it has done some frequent towing. From what I have read the D should be fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been doing some tire kicking. Anyone had any experience with Uniroyale Laredo AWP in the 265/75/16 E size??? They tell me Uniroyal is made by Michelin now. Price is $560 out the door with life time rotate,balance and road hazard.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I just bought the General Grabber AT2 tires...they are very quiet... have the same tread pattern as BFGoodrich AT tires...they are 10 Ply and E ...and they have a fantastic warranty, it's 60,000 mile treadlife and 4 year workmanship..and if you buy off The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels you can get road hazard extra warranty..plus I think the sidewalls are more aggressive looking than the BFGoodrich tires...also they are Snow/Trail rated...AND only 475.00 for 4 tires. I love them.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
yes Michelin builds the Uniroyals and they are a good tire just not very agressive looking..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts