Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I originally wanted to do RDS's 40 gallon under toolbox tank, but had to settle for their 45gal 9" wide rectangle tank since my full profile cam-locker didn't have the necessary clearance under it

I picked it and the install kit up at RDS in perry FL and saved on freight. Would love a titan tank but this is pennies on the dollar. I recently made the trip from the Salina KS area all the way back to georgia on one tank. having 72 ish total gallons on the truck is a game changer, have gone 1300 miles on a tank, it's even nicer when towing heavy. You have the ability to fuel up when you want to/when it's cheap, versus when you have to. I have saved quite a bit of money on fuel since adding this tank, and it was especially useful when pulling FEMA trailers to the coast after hurricane michael when fuel was extremely sparse.

It does throw a code every 100 miles that the stock tank does not sense a drop in fuel level which is a minor nuisance. It is easy to have tuned out, however seeing that ATP no longer does tuning, my free "updates to tuning for life of the truck" caveat is no longer valid. Eventually I will have it re-tuned through someone else to write the code out and adjust my tire size.

I've done a lot of things to the truck over the years but this is hands down one of my favorites. If I ever change the setup up, it'll probably be for a low pro toolbox and the tank that goes under it instead of in front of it. This setup works though, toolbox clears the front of the wheel wells by about 3/4" and obviously you can still slide stuff under the toolbox.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
this is the set-up I want actually, and what I evidently didnt link to in my original post...lol:nerd:
This might give you a idea of clearance, what might be in the way with a short bed is when the hard folding cover is folded back for my 5th wheel.
The cover is covering up part of the tank/tool box.

There are a few other covers that aren’t as thick.
Probably need a narrower aux tank with a short bed, contact RDS, some measuring will need tone done.
17” from the tank to 5th wheel hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Another thing to consider if your going with a aux tank/tool box combo and plan on it being below the top of the bed rails for a cover, you’ll need to have at least 1 1/8” gap space from the front of the bed to box or you won’t be able to open up the box lid.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Another thing to consider if your going with a aux tank/tool box combo and plan on it being below the top of the bed rails for a cover, you’ll need to have at least 1 1/8” gap space from the front of the bed to box or you won’t be able to open up the box lid.
...Great pics and info..thanks

41 - 45 of 45 Posts