Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get a 52gal Titan tank for my truck, also wanting to add a lift pump have any of yall done this if so did you use the factory pick or an after market draw straw or sump kit. I would like to sump it but cutting a hole in a $1200 fuel tank might hurt. LOL any ways looking for thoughts on the matter.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I added the 52 gal tank and the FASS titanium 150 to my truck last fall. I did it all in my 2 car garage with hand tools and no lift required (but I do have the 7" BDS on 35" tires. I did take the back driver tire off while moving the new tank into place. I used a ATV/Mower lift to raise it into the truck. I did not use the shield since i am not a big rock climber more mud and snow. I opted not to drill a hole in the new tank and put in a sump I figured just more places it could fail down the road. I run it until the low fuel light comes on which is 15 gallons left in the tank. I had my efi live programmed to change the tank volume by Idaho Rob. I took it on a road trip a week after install from Syracuse NY home to Jax FL. I got 20.8 mpg over all for the trip down and back. It was crazy the range. On the way back I filled up in NC and finished drive to Syracuse still had 278 left on range when I pulled in. Drove it another 200 miles before filling up with the expensive NY fuel. If you do it yourself and need any tips I am happy to share.

I did replace the entire Fuel pump assembly with another factory one (figured might as well while out if not my luck the pump would have died 3 months later.....)

·
I'm That Guy...
16,683 Posts
I had an Air Dog 2 165 on my 09 LMM with a 52 Gallon Titan Tank. The only challenge is I had to mount the AD to the outside of the frame on the opposite side due to the tank extending forward.

Used stock pick up, you don't need anything else.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would like to see pics of where u installed ur lift pump. I didn't think of the passenger side frame. I have heard of mounting the lift pump on the drivers rail, but it will be under the driver. But I'm assuming that u could hear it. Just looking for options.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine is on the outside of the driver frame, directly under the back door. Spray painted the filters flat black and they blend right in.
Pics?

·
I'm That Guy...
16,683 Posts
Sorry, I can't find any good pictures of it. It did stick down a little bit, but it wasn't bad. As someone said, you could paint the filters black and it'd blend in.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I was wondering with those who have the Titan Tanks installed and when they are full do you every see your truck sagging to the one side? If so did you use air bags to correct the issue?

Micheal

·
Registered
127 Posts
Maybe a 1/4-1/2" lean when full but not noticeable. To add to others comments, I mounted my Air Dog sideways in front of the tank. Somewhat a tight fit but clean and protected.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,683 Posts
I was wondering with those who have the Titan Tanks installed and when they are full do you every see your truck sagging to the one side? If so did you use air bags to correct the issue?

Micheal
Yes, you might see this a little. You'll even see it with the stock tank, a lot more weight on one side of the truck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have leveled mine with the air bags before. I don't worry about it.

Shack
Do u have any pics of ur air dog mounted side ways? Still looking for ideas.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Titan install on Thursday 3/12

Guys - if you could educate me a little I would appreciate it. Have a 57 gallon
Titan scheduled for install and just picked up your talking points about a lift pump. Is this a weak point on my 2015.5? I am pre-first oil change so I am just starting my LML mind meld with this site. Is there something I need them to install when they do the conversion?

·
Registered
127 Posts
You might also consider a sump at the same time. That is the preferred fuel delivery on LMLs I think.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Subd

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Interesting on the sump bit...never actually thought about it.

I have a titan 52gal installed along with the skid plate, the FASS titanium 150 is mounted on the outside of the drivers rail near the fuel cooler...No issues whatsoever.

Except that the installer kinked my fill tube somewhat...only becomes an issue in cold winter days (< -20C). I used the stock pick up.

With my gravity fed slip tank and the titan...figure I can get with MT truck and full fuel load - 1650 miles without fuelling..or drive from Calgary to Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. ....worth every penny IMO.

Cheers,
theo

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am picking up my 2016 tomorrow and one of the first mods is going to be Titan tank. I have one in my lmm and can't live without. I didn't have a lift pump on my lmm but want to put it on the lml. My ? is where to mount lift pump with Titan tank and do I need a sump? Don't want to drill a hole in my new tank but will it it is recommend.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts