Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Titan Convert

Congrats on the purchase.

I had the Titan installed on my 2015.5 and did nothing about a lift pump or otherwise. Simply had the tank installed and 15K miles later, love knowing I can decide which state I am going to refuel in.

Didn't know about the sump until immediately before I had the install scheduled so I decided to let it be and see what happens. I didn't get a lot of response on the topic either so I'm curious who will weigh in here with some technical savvy on the topic. Not to say I won't but I haven't had an issue.

I would recommend the Titan skid plate (forget what they actually call it - it's plastic).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

I had the Titan installed on my 2015.5 and did nothing about a lift pump or otherwise. Simply had the tank installed and 15K miles later, love knowing I can decide which state I am going to refuel in.

Didn't know about the sump until immediately before I had the install scheduled so I decided to let it be and see what happens. I didn't get a lot of response on the topic either so I'm curious who will weigh in here with some technical savvy on the topic. Not to say I won't but I haven't had an issue.

I would recommend the Titan skid plate (forget what they actually call it - it's plastic).
Where is your pump mounted and can u see it?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
My 65 gal Titan on a 05 LLY with AD165.

With my 05 Dually I had to go with the 65 gal Titan tank and I also installed a AD165. I ended up having to mount my lift pump outside the frame because there was no room with the Titan tank. It's under the rear door on the drivers side. I then built a shield one to protect it and hide it from prying eyes. See the pictures below. I don't hear it running unless I turn the ignition to run, engine is not running and leave the door open.

The tank install was simple enough. Just cumbersome, luckily I had access to a lift and a friend. I went with the stock fuel pick up and skipped the sump idea, but think about installing one from time to time. Even with the tuning to correct, my fuel gauge is WAY off. I usually drive by mileage, but have yet to put more then 48 gallons in. When I hit 700+ miles and have been driving on empty for the last 100 miles, it just freaks me out and I end up stopping to fill her up!

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have the 52 gallon titan tank with a Fass 150. I did install a PPE fuel pickup when I put the titan in, because I didn't want to drill a hole in a new expensive tank. I mounted my fass below my fuel door, but I don't like how I can see the filters from the side of the truck. I'd like them up higher.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My DRW LBZ sits about 1/2" lower on the drivers side when the tank is full (55GAL). Once I connect a trailer it evens out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I didn't really think about this when I installed the Titan tank on my 08 but does the factory sending unit "straw" that sucks up the fuel go all the way to the bottom of the deeper fuel tank? The Titan tanks are about 2" deeper than the factory tank. Anybody know?

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have the titan tank with the air dog II lift pump. i bought the truck that way from a close friend. the only issue i have with it is i think they used the stock pick up... down side to it when the truck gauge shows E (empty) i still have about 20-25 gallons of diesel left the tank.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I didn't really think about this when I installed the Titan tank on my 08 but does the factory sending unit "straw" that sucks up the fuel go all the way to the bottom of the deeper fuel tank? The Titan tanks are about 2" deeper than the factory tank. Anybody know?
i have the titan tank with the air dog II lift pump. i bought the truck that way from a close friend. the only issue i have with it is i think they used the stock pick up... down side to it when the truck gauge shows E (empty) i still have about 20-25 gallons of diesel left the tank.
Resurrecting the dead here. Can anyone let me know if this is the case and if adding an aftermarket billet pick up would remedy it? I'll be installing a 52 gallon Titan tank into my 06 soon. I plan on having the fuel capacity adjusted with the EFI live so the gauge reads closer to correct. Just wondering if the factory pick up leaves a lot of fuel "just there" in the bottom of the bigger tank. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My point in uploading these pix are to show that the length of the stock fuel pickup is fixed from the top of the tank. So a deeper tank wont feed you more fuel miles unless you extend the fuel pickup point below the stock length.

These pix are of the stock fuel pickup I had replaced in my 2002 Duramax extended cab when I had my lift pump installed. The bottom plastic part is taken apart. Hopefully you can imagine the bottom assembled. The level indicator float is off screen but you can see the float arm (wire) coming off the base of the pickup. The overall assembly does not look strong but it lasted me till August 2018. The unit did break. I just figured since I was having my fuel system replaced - injector pump - FAAS lift pump - fuel lines... Why not replace the pickup as well. Plastic gets brittle.

I was able to get a 56 gallon tank due to having an extended cab.
I forget how long ago it was that I had my fuel tank upgraded to a 56 gallon tank. I also forget the brand. The directions say don't use 6 gallons in your math for fuel mileage.
So my my math is 16 MPG * 50 gallons is 800 miles. I drive from just north of Seattle to Sacramento ~700 miles at least once a year for the past 18 years. I fill up once before I leave home and once in Sacramento to get back home. The range is nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fuel Pickup 2002

I am late to this party but I have some pictures of the fuel tank fuel pickup others might not have seen. That cup attaches to the bottom. You can see the flat side of the cup, that when attached, allows the float arm to swing. This assembly does not reach the bottom of your fuel tank. The only way to get every last drop out of your tank is to sump it. For an example of a sump kit you can find one on the FAAS fuel system web page. Look under "All Products" in the menu on the left. I remember seeing the sump kit on FAAS because I was researching lift pumps Aug 2018. I do have a FAAS fuel system now.
Many years ago I purchased a 56 gallon tank. My extended cap long bed allowed me to get one this big that replaces the original tank. I forget the brand. I only recall the directions stating to not use 6 gallons in any fuel calculations. So my math is 16 MPG * 50 gallons = 800 miles. I normally do better than 16 MPG but I can be comfortable that is a minimum given normal circumstances.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Don't worry about being late to the party, the fuel tank is still sitting on the concrete in the garage lol. Thanks for your info, I definitely am not wanting to do a sump.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,683 Posts
With my 52 gallon tank I never ran out of fuel and think I ran down to 49 gallons. Typically I don't recommend running that low on fuel as it's not good for your truck. That said, I never had a need to change pick up.

This was on an 09 Duramax I don't have anymore.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Transfer Flow makes a 60 gallon replacement fuel tank for 2011 to 2019 2500/3500 trucks. The shape does not appear to increase the depth of the fuel tank. If I had any concerns I would take the time to phone the company that makes the tank.

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800115159

·
Registered
447 Posts
Transfer Flow makes a 60 gallon replacement fuel tank for 2011 to 2019 2500/3500 trucks. The shape does not appear to increase the depth of the fuel tank. If I had any concerns I would take the time to phone the company that makes the tank.

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/product/0800115159

I like that they are made with metal, not plastic but the one for a CCSB LMM is only 45 gal vs 52 for the Titan :|
The spray on bed liner coating option is nice although for an add'l $200 I might try it myself. Or get the plastic and rhino-line it and be cheaper than the uncoated Transferflow

EDIT: one website i looked at only showed ~$50 difference between the two tanks. Still different capacity but not sure $50 would get you coated at a typical rhino/linex place.

·
Registered
447 Posts
21 - 38 of 38 Posts