Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all who use their DMAXs for what they are intended...please check your tie down straps and ropes. I scraped a tire today because of a tie down strap that flex off the gooseneck a couple vehicles in front of me. Here's the pic...:

IMG-20110919-00013.jpg

IMG-20110919-00014.jpg

If your straps are worn....REPLACE THEM!!!!!

Thanks!

Rod.

·
Registered
662 Posts
damn that was a one in a million shot! Lucky it didnt hit the windshield though (not that tires are much cheaper nowadays)

·
Registered
637 Posts
that sucks . you'd have better odds at winning the lottery than that happening again .

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Sucks, but at least your rig/you are ok..

good point though, it's scary seeing some of the straps used around here lol

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
Better the strap hook.....than what the strap was holding. :eek:

Interesting hook tho, never have seen one with a round eye in it. Most with any weight capacity are flat, not round.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
^ that is from a cheaper nylon ratchet strap

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I hate to see a good Michelin tire go to waste like that! I have the same ones and they are expensive tires too. Sorry to hear that...

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I feel ya on this one. Last year I hit one on the road in my wife's car It hooked in the tire and beat the shit out of her car till I could get stoped. The ratchet part really fucked some stuff up.

·
Registered
379 Posts
cant say i have seen that one before. Sorry to hear. That just goes to show that not only should you have to take drivers ed to drive but you should have to take a class just to tow or haul anything. Most people I see pulling trailers (mainly those with suv's and mini vans) act like they have never towed before

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I think you got something stuck in your tire!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would fkn murder someone if that happened to me... especially considering I JUST spent $1300 on my new Nittos.

-Eric

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Better the hook in the tire than the load in the windshield.
A while back, while towing a loaded car hauler on I-59 in Birmingham, I was behind a pos Dodge truck and gooseneck trailer that was hauling pallets and a strap broke holding the pallets on. The pallets were stacked way to high and went flying. I dodged several before one landed on my windshield and roof breaking the windshield, passenger window, passenger side mirror and a trailer tire flat. The pos driver never knew he lost anything and didn't even slow down, even though there were 4 cars and my truck and trailer damaged and the entire interstate blocked. The cops stopped the guy miles down the road and made him come back and clean the mess up out of the road. The guy had 9 stacks of pallets still on the trailer and each stack was strapped down with one, cheap, 1" ratchet strap with hooks that looked just like the one in your tire. The cops wrote him a ticket and let him go after he picked up the debris.
I agree 100%.....if your going to tow....you should have to go to class to learn how.

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
^^^^^ Ida prolly went to jail on that one. Beat his ass out of about 3-4,000 dollars!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Yea that definitely would have made it's way through your windshield. Glad you're safe

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...The continuation....

Well... guess what I learned this morning heading out to work...the f'n strap that was attached put enough strain on my brake line that it caused a slow leak. Didn't notice it yesterday...but this morning towing the 20' work trailer I learned I had no rear brake!

I could kill today!!!!!!!!GrrRRrrgunnin:rifle:gunner:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts