Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 2500 with stock 20in wheels and 33x12.5 r20 tires. Not for sure on how long I have had the bit guessing around 20k miles. I tow a lot and it seems like I wear tires out fast. Anyway went to get new tires installed the other day and they said my rims are bad. They say d they see it all the time from guys running to big of tires on stock rims. Has anyone else had a problem with this? So now I guess I need need new rims. I really like the look of the wider tire and thought about getting 20x10. Doing a little research it looks like towing heavy with aftermarket wheels might not be the best idea? Any input from you guys would be great. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
BS!!!!!!! If rims are bad, its not from the tires

33's are not that big, the OEM tires are a 32 depending on the model.

What do you tow? weight? I tow a 30' TT (7500#) and a 10K equipment trailer on aftermarket alum wheels. You need to check the load rating of any aftermarket wheel, but if made for a 2500/3500, probably adequate

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BS!!!!!!! If rims are bad, its not from the tires

33's are not that big, the OEM tires are a 32 depending on the model.

What do you tow? weight? I tow a 30' TT (7500#) and a 10K equipment trailer on aftermarket alum wheels. You need to check the load rating of any aftermarket wheel, but if made for a 2500/3500, probably adequate

I guess I should have said their saying because the tires are to wide for the rim and the pressure on the lip of the rim is what made them go bad. I tow a gn cattle and flatbed. Anywhere from 10-25k I would guess

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I guess I should have said their saying because the tires are to wide for the rim and the pressure on the lip of the rim is what made them go bad. I tow a gn cattle and flatbed. Anywhere from 10-25k I would guess
Have never heard of that either. Again, the rubber is softer than the steel, I would expect tire failure before wheel...

Assuming you have 7.5 or 8" wide wheels...

Have a picture of your wheels?

Try another tire shop and see what they say...

I know weight is what they are saying but in the jeeping world we run 12.5 on 8" wide wheels and under 10 PSI and crawl over boulbers rolling the tire over the rim lip and no issues. I don't see a fully inflated tire w a solid bead, bending a wheel lip.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have never heard of that either. Again, the rubber is softer than the steel, I would expect tire failure before wheel...

Assuming you have 7.5 or 8" wide wheels...

Have a picture of your wheels?

Try another tire shop and see what they say...

I know weight is what they are saying but in the jeeping world we run 12.5 on 8" wide wheels and under 10 PSI and crawl over boulbers rolling the tire over the rim lip and no issues. I don't see a fully inflated tire w a solid bead, bending a wheel lip.
I dont have a pic I put them back on till I get something figured out. There own aluminum 20x8.5 I believe. There not bent but the shop guys said they are thin and one bent a little when they went to take the tire off.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
I've had my local tire shop tell me the same thing when we had 16 inch wheels. Over a lot of miles the lip gets thin from the too wide of tires.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I've had my local tire shop tell me the same thing when we had 16 inch wheels. Over a lot of miles the lip gets thin from the too wide of tires.

I guess w aluminum wheels it makes sense it could happen... but i would expect it to be obvious....

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Yeah I don't think steel would do it and I doubt that it actually gets to be a problem where they leak or something, I dunno.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.