Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this is the right place for this, if not I apolagize ahead of time. I bought a 2011 gmc sierra in the beginning of this year. Since the day I bought it I have hated the moldings on the doors. I have looked through a few threads of people who have removed them and most of them it seemed like they did it when the truck was still pretty new. So since mine is a litter older I'm nervous to try and take the molding off. The emblems have all came off fine and so did the 4x4 stickers. I just don't want to take the molding off and it take the paint with it or the paint be faded there from the mold. So should I just leave it alone or chance screwing up a 40g plus trucks paint. Hopefully someone can chime in that took them off after a good while mine has almost 90,000 on it.:help

·
Registered
175 Posts
I took the molding off my 07 last year before I sold it. I had very little problems. I would suggest getting it buffed afterwards, I had light scratches when I was done, but it all cleaned up nicely. BTW mine had 80000 miles on it and it was ran year around.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it the same 3m type tape that was on the badges? If so I shouldn't have to much trouble. We've had alot of snow the last few weeks and it's been to damn cold and windy to try. The next week or so is suppose to be in the 50s so I'm going to try then.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Yes it is the same stuff

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yup, that rubbery double sided stuff. I used a high strength fishing line to take the moldings off and then spray on adhesive remover for the tape. I'm sure you already know that though. Yeah, the weather is a determining factor in all my truck related activities as well.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm a big fishermen so I have plenty of high tess laying around. The weather has been a joke the last month. I've been running a business alone the last 2 weeks but my family is home now so I should have some time if mother nature behaves. Hopefully the molding comes off as easy as everything else.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you think the paint will be faded? I want to do it to my 04 but I'm nervous about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just did mine last week on my 06 no faded paint at all 186000 on here came of easier then badges use a 3m eraser with air compressor if possible comes right off

·
Registered
352 Posts
Did my black 2010 last August, looks way better. No paint issues just be careful taking them off. The NBS moldings tend to come loose anyway and then they catch a bunch of dirt/salt/crap

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got the last few badges I had left off. It was starting to get cold again so I think I may try for the moldings tomorrow if I get off early enough. I have used goof off or goo off (can't remember) the last few times. It gets the residue off that's left behind but that's about it. It really only makes the rubber more goopy..if that's a word. So I end up carefully scraping the rubber off with my finger nail lol. It was just the small 2500 hd and the badges on tailgate so it wasn't to bad. Any better brands? Friend of mine said he has used a remover that was specific for 3m tape but he used it in a shop he worked in. So naturally I can't find it anywhere. I have a big bottle of the other stuff so i don't want to buy something else and it work the same as the stuff I already have. You can bet your ass I'm not scraping all the rubber from those long ass moldings off with my thumb or at least not in the same day :rofl

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
You will want warmer weather and plenty of time. And some gas or brake clean, plenty of rags. Some rubbing compound, polish, and wax. Glad I did mine. Looks lots better, easier to clean too

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm itching to change something on this thing. Warmer weather needs to hurry the hell up haha

·
Registered
2016 Chevy LML 2500 4x4 bone stock CCLB summit white, air ride on board air, b&w gneck hitch
1,035 Posts
Anybody got pics of a classic that's de molded?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I want to do mine as well. Anymore advice??

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just use a heat gun or strong blow dryer some high tess fishing line and some patience. The door moldings will come off easier Than the emblems at least mine did. I used 3m remover and a cloth and I came pretty much right off. Only down side I found out my truck was hit on the passenger door and now you can notice where they tried to blend it. I've done a good cutting agent and a good hand buff it's hard to tell. I'm probably going to rhino line over it :cookoo[1]: :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.