Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Got back into a Diesel truck after selling my LBz a couple year back. Picked up a 2003 Silverado with 96k, original injectors that are making oil but no hazing. I Plan on doing the injectors and HP lines in the next month or so.

truck is used for mild hauling, 24' travel trailer towing and offroading, has an aftermarket exhaust and a 40hp tune with no plans to make massive power.

Been reading and reading but cant find any definitive answers on the SAC00 or stock Bosh with the DLC coating. I dont mind the cost difference, but its a job i would rather not do again. Which would likely hold up longest?

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone have some miles on the sac00s? How are they holding up compared to stock?

Registered
Someone around here or on one the other Dmax forums has racked up quite a few miles on Sac 45's, I have Sac 45's but only 22k on them. So far so good.

Registered
SAC is the only way to go.

Reactions: stevewaclo

Registered
Had SAC00's installed back in June. 7k miles so far with no issues. I'd definitely recommend SAC's over the stock style VCOs. All of the newer trucks with SAC nozzles do not have the common VCO nozzle issues.

Registered
For Decades the SAC style has been used for injectors - no problems.

The Duramax LB7 introduces the VCO style - YES PROBLEMS.

You do the math:
SAC style - no problems
VCO style - YES PROBLEMS

Registered
Another vote for SACs. I'm on my 5th set of VCOs in 407k miles. The ONE thing I DO know is that given time and miles, the VCOs WILL fail. If I keep my truck long enough, there's no question that I will install SAC00s in my truck. I should be good till about 445k miles on this set but I got the bug for a '21 or '22 baaaaad.

Reactions: stevewaclo

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
For Decades the SAC style has been used for injectors - no problems.

The Duramax LB7 introduces the VCO style - YES PROBLEMS.

You do the math:
SAC style - no problems
VCO style - YES PROBLEMS
Pretty convincing argument.

Registered
Going SAC for my next set, should get me to 750K+!!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered up a set of sac00's from Lincoln diesel. Did the new lines and master install kit, added cat filter adapter... was a little over 3k (not including core charge). Ill get started this weekend, hopefully buys me many, many trouble free years.

Registered
Ordered up a set of sac00's from Lincoln diesel. Did the new lines and master install kit, added cat filter adapter... was a little over 3k (not including core charge). Ill get started this weekend, hopefully buys me many, many trouble free years.
Exactly what I just did a few months ago. Except I added a Kennedy lift pump and filter. Trust me, you will like the SAC injectors. Good luck with the install.

Reactions: [email protected]

Registered
Just installed the SAC00 injectors in my truck. Cured the original smoking idle and rough running, but getting some mild random "rattling" (detonation) at mid throttle on light loads (cruising). Otherwise running smooth and good power. Also seems like the MPG readout is low (13.5 average with gentle mixed driving) Has anyone else had this experience? I haven't dug into the OBD2 readouts yet, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has suggestions for remediation?

Registered
Cant comment on the SAC00's but my 45's have been awesome . Brent at Lincoln is the only way to go . I did an Air Dog lift pump and the CAT filter set up while I was at it .

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Finally finished up the install, not overly complicated but lots of work, I took my time, bagged and labeled bolts and connectors, took me working solo about 20 hours broken up over several days. I also now hate the engineer that designed the rear valve cover bolts...

But now My truck runs great, quieter, Idles smoother, pulls harder, I think my injectors (96k) were worse than I thought. Old ones had all kinds of gunk floating where the HP lines connect.

Now I have about 40 miles on the Sac00s and am happy with them.

Former GM Tech and parts
Old ones had all kinds of gunk floating where the HP lines connect.
That gunk wasn't in the injector until you removed the high pressure lines. That is the rust and corrosion build up around/in the line nut and then gets ground up and falls into the feed port of the injectors. Its not inside the fuel system until the lines are removed

Registered
Finally finished up the install, not overly complicated but lots of work, I took my time, bagged and labeled bolts and connectors, took me working solo about 20 hours broken up over several days. I also now hate the engineer that designed the rear valve cover bolts...

But now My truck runs great, quieter, Idles smoother, pulls harder, I think my injectors (96k) were worse than I thought. Old ones had all kinds of gunk floating where the HP lines connect.

Congrats. What a job huh? I know the PO of my truck tried to stop a valve cover leak by tightening several bolts until they stripped. I was very close to having to weld something to the bolts but I ended up getting them out. I was very glad I ordered the hardware set with the injector kit. Now we will see how much longer we get from the SAC vs the VCO style. I'm hoping for a long run on these injectors. Several of my injectors had a build up of crap in them too. I added a Kennedy lift and filter along with a filter mag in the hopes of keeping contaminants low. Filter mag sounds like snake oil but I know a few guys running them who have cut their filters open and they say it collects a lot of junk. I know according to my CTS2 my balance rate in park warmed up are all under 1

Registered

I replaced all the allen type valve cover bolts with normal hex head bolts. Soooooooooo much easier now - especially the ones near the firewall.

Reactions: Durtynuby

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Truck has been running good but it was cool out this morning when I started it and I got a check engine light, pulled the code P0540 Intake heater A circuit. Checked the wire to the intake heater and everything looked fine, parts guy suggested replacing the glowplug module for about $130, said they get old and can fail after being disturbed. Any suggestions before i buy it?

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Forgot to mention, I snugged up the wires on the glow plug module, drove to the parts store and had them clear the code, drove it a bunch that day with several startups without issue, next morning it was cool again and the light came back on upon startup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts