Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Bobo
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had many requests by curious customers as to weather a V2 is fit for them with the choices of pre tuned ECM's and EFI Live Autocal programmers out there. Well here is my answer, it depends on what you choose to do with your Vehicle.

Here are some facts:

A V2 can do anything an autocal can do. It can do stand alone logging, flashing, and you can use your computer with EFI Live V8 of V7.5 software to do the tuning/logging.

A V2 is not a locked programmer. You may do your own tuning and you can get tunes from anyone you want and use them to tune your vehicle. You can even compare tunes and use the information to make your own changes.

A V2 will work on any Gas, GM Diesel, or Dodge Diesel vehicle that EFI Live supports. I tuned my wife's Malibu with mine. If you have friends or family with gas vehicles they support, you can scan and tune those. The tunes for Gas vehicles are actually pretty inexpensive if you choose to buy them. We can help you choose a good gas tuner if you need to find one. We also offer custom tuning for your diesel truck.

A V2 cable is supported by EFI Live AND the vendor you bought it from. This can be a huge asset if you need help fast. There are many forums and many users of EFI Live out there. It is a very good asset to utilize these knowledgeable people when you need help.

Large LCD screen. For those of you using it as a standalone, it is a great screen that can display up to 8 parameters on it at once. It's nice watching all your injector balance rates on 1 screen!

Dynamic Vehicle Testing (DVT Controls) These controls are part of the Scan Tool. They allow you to control fuel pressure, turn off injectors in each cylinder, and a host of other useful controls for diagnosing problems.

Log External Inputs. You can hook up sensors to the Flashscan V2 cable and log those sensors. I use this function in several trucks I tune to monitor boost, drive, fuel pressure, and Exhaust Gas Temp. There are 4 channels for doing this. The electric sensors are pretty easy to install and I've done it on several vehicles. We offer support for these functions to our customers!

Licensing is done through EFI Live. Your vendor can provide you with additional licenses for a fee. These licenses are called vin licenses or vin unlocks, A V2 cable supports up to 220 vin licenses. When purchased new, the V2 cable comes with 2 vin licenses. Each vin license will tune both the ECM and TCM of a vehicle. The vin license locks the V2 cable to the controller, but not the vehicle. This means you have flexibility to use your vin license for a transmission controller on any trans controller you choose. It is not lost if you don't use it on the vehicle you tuned an engine controller on. This is the same if you tune a transmission controller(TCM) in a vehicle but not the engine controller(ECM). You would have a spare vin license leftover to tune an ECM in another vehicle. So in the simplest terms, a vin license has two parts and they are used separately as far as counting the amount of vehicles you could tune. You only need to license something you are tuning. EFI Live does offer streams that allow unlimited tuning to certain controllers for a flat rate fee.

Read controllers and view the data without using a vin license. You are free to upload the data from any controller EFI Live supports. You can save the data to your computer. A read does not pull the data out of the controller. It only looks at it and saves a copy of it for you to view. Use the V7.5 software to look through the data. You can also edit and save the tunes if you want to. It will only use a vin license if you choose to flash the data to a controller you have not licensed yet.

All custom operating systems are supported with a V2 cable. Weather you have a LB7, LLY, LBZ, or LMM Duramax diesel, you can full flash the ECM to support a DSP operating system. This can allow you to have 5 fully customizable ECM tunes switchable on the fly with a DSP switch. DSP switching with a physical switch is called "Hardwired" switching. Hardwired switching is available on all supported GM Duramax Diesels. DSP switching can also be done via "Serial Switching" Serial switching is offerd on the 01-04 model year LB7's and 04.5-05 model year LLY's. The serial switching method involves using a signal generated from an electronic device to signal the ECM to switch between tunes on the fly. The most popular device for this application is the Edge Insight. Edge offers the Insight in a CTS model and a CS model.

Resale value is pretty good. Using the cable to scan and tune your vehicle to your liking and then selling the cable is an option to recoup some of your costs. Since the cable is not locked to a tuner or a shop, you are free to sell it as you wish. There are no fees or unlocks you need to sell the cable to another person.

This information should help you choose if a V2 cable is something that fits your tuning needs. There are a lot of options out there. For the suggested retail price of $899, the V2 cable is a very good deal if you plan to use any of the many features it offers. I also believe the flexibility offered in owning a V2 cable is very important. You can choose to purchase tunes from a variety of tuners, write your own tunes, modify tunes that are sent to you (if your tuner agrees to this), and receive support from an enormous group of companies and enthusiasts. Weather you choose to scan and tune from a laptop or using the V2 by itself (stand alone control), you have a lot of great choices by owning a V2 cable.

I'm a huge advocate of custom tuning. I like helping people get into doing their own tuning. A lot of people are not interested in doing their own tuning at first, but like to have the ability to do it in the future as they get used to the software. Owning a V2 cable is the best way to be able to do this.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us. We are here to help you decide what is best for you and will be here to support you on whatever choice you make to meet your tuning needs. We would love to talk to you and help you make an informed decision. Thank you!!!:drink:thumb

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Good info Bob....stickied.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Awesome information

·
Banned
84 Posts
A V2 purchase I strongly reccomend to anyone who plans on constantly modifying and competing with their truck.

·
Bobo
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A V2 purchase I strongly reccomend to anyone who plans on constantly modifying and competing with their truck.
Yes, that is a great reason to buy a V2. We also have a few people that bought autocal units that want to try our tunes and can't because the autocal is locked to their tuner. Now it's going to cost them a lot more money to switch tuners.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Nice write up Bob V2 is the nice way to go your not locked to one person.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Can you wipe an autocal to add a different stream onto it?

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Yes, that is a great reason to buy a V2. We also have a few people that bought autocal units that want to try our tunes and can't because the autocal is locked to their tuner. Now it's going to cost them a lot more money to switch tuners.
X2 we have tons of those and it sucks cuz they either have to spend lots of money or settle

·
Registered
751 Posts
Great write up. I am going to be getting me a v2 but got to get my trans built first.

·
Bobo
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great write up. I am going to be getting me a v2 but got to get my trans built first.
Let us know when you're ready. We have a DSP5 special going with the V2 right now. It includes a free DSP5 tune with the purchase of a V2.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
We can also help you with a trans if and when your ready also.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When does the V2 special end? I was thinking about doing the autocal, but now I'm convinced this is the way to go. Especially after seeing your current prices.

·
Bobo
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When does the V2 special end? I was thinking about doing the autocal, but now I'm convinced this is the way to go. Especially after seeing your current prices.
I think you will like what we have to offer. Special is running until Christmas.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I have a V2 and have been wanting to tune my wifes tahoe. Who do you guys recommend to get tuning from for the gas engines and is it worth it?

·
Banned
84 Posts
I too am interested in a Tahoe tune! My wife has an 09 Z71 edition and it desperately needs a MPG tune...........aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnd a power tune wouldn't hurt my feelings ha ha

·
Registered
5,777 Posts

I fell into this category and obviously you live and learn, but my suggestion for people in this position is to go back to the tuner you got the autocal from and ask to pay the cost difference between the V2 vs autocal and upgrade to the full V2 through that tuner. You'll end up eating the cost of the tunes if you didn't like them, but it will be way cheaper than eating the cost of the Autocal. Then with your new V2 you aren't locked to any company and you can then purchase and load tunes yourself from any tuner you want.

BTW, great writeup on V2 vs Autocal Bob!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts