Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
A V2 with no licenses is fine, just buy another license (or as many as you need) from EFI and you're good to go.......V2 price should reflect the lack of licenses though.
Yea I figured that. I am out of funds currently but there is one on fleabay for 475 OBO, for those that might be interested.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i see that the lic. cost 129.00 but what does a tune cost?
does a dyno need to be used to get best tune?
will a v2 version 7 tune be recognized and be able to be tweaked by v2 version 8?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sub'd

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
i see that the lic. cost 129.00 but what does a tune cost?
does a dyno need to be used to get best tune?
will a v2 version 7 tune be recognized and be able to be tweaked by v2 version 8?

Tunes usually cost around $350-400 but that typically includes the EFI license as well.

Yes, dyno tuning is best, but the vast majority of people don't have access to a dyno/tuner nearby and are more than impressed by the results......for racing I would say dyno tuning is a must though.

The different versions refer to the EFI software running on your PC not the program being loaded into the ECM. As long as it is a V2 then it will run either version of EFI's PC-based software just fine. The issue is more that your EFI license is locked to the V2 hardware so only that unit can modify/write to the ECM after that. You can buy another license to be able to use a different V2 to tweak the tune (basically locking the new V2 to the ECM) but you can see how this would get expensive. If you are going to just have tuners email you tunes/tweaks then this setup will work fine since you'll be the only one loading your tunes more than likely (this is what I have).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would like to buy an efi live v2 scan tool for a duramax I also need a dsp2 switch I will need two tunes I would like a mileage tune and an above stock tune I have no interest in high performance just a little more get up truck is stock how much would this combination cost me

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
I would like to buy an efi live v2 scan tool for a duramax I also need a dsp2 switch I will need two tunes I would like a mileage tune and an above stock tune I have no interest in high performance just a little more get up truck is stock how much would this combination cost me
You would be better off with a Autocal setup vs a V2. Seems your not wanting to build tunes on your own and only looking to have a few.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I looked at that and looked at buying a tune from a writer but that's a lot of money toward a v2 and if I get the v2 I can use it at my shop on customer cars were seeing a lot of active fuel management problems I could delete. but I think im going to need a dsp5 switch since I would actually like 3 tunes stock/mileage/tow

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
I looked at that and looked at buying a tune from a writer but that's a lot of money toward a v2 and if I get the v2 I can use it at my shop on customer cars were seeing a lot of active fuel management problems I could delete. but I think im going to need a dsp5 switch since I would actually like 3 tunes stock/mileage/tow
2,3 tunes cost the same as 5 so better off that way. What makes of cars do you have come thru your shop. You will want to make sure the v2 will work on enough of them for what you want.
Also to make changes to a ECM like your seeing is covering up a issue that needs a repair. Turning it off is not the right way of going about it. And to turn anything off you will need to be able to tune or will need to buy tunes for each customers car and also a vin license to flash it in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yeah I think a dsp5 will be the way to go we work on all makes and models except euro. I understand the v2 works on all obd2 gm and cummins if you get the cummins option. the active fuel management is particular to gm 07+ ls style engines it is causing problems from collapsed lifters that wont come back to washed cylinders using 5+ quarts of oil between oil changes. you can physically convert the engine to non afm but that's expensive and labor intensive or you can turn it off in the pcm there are companies like range technology that make an obd2 plug to disable it. we also do some "hot rod" motor installs for our selves and will be using the ls motors so ill need to delete the o2s etc. I also like the idea of being able to learn how to write a tune change this change that would be fun until I click the wrong button and explode everything

·
Registered
6 Posts
so after reading all this I am still a little confused. if I do deletes and stuff, can I use V2 to clear the codes or can I do that with autocal?? sorry if this is the wrong place to ask..

just trying to plan some upgrades/improvements to my 09 lmm

Dennis

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
so after reading all this I am still a little confused. if I do deletes and stuff, can I use V2 to clear the codes or can I do that with autocal?? sorry if this is the wrong place to ask..

just trying to plan some upgrades/improvements to my 09 lmm

Dennis
the autocal will load tunes with deletes and clear codes. the majority of people can get an autocal and be perfectly happy

·
unknown known most
15,249 Posts
You could use the autocal to load the tunes, get a cts2 too motor the truck and clear codes.....I assume you will want to monitor the truck after tuning.....?

·
Registered
6 Posts
that was my other question, what do i use to monitor/change tunes after i get all done. and can the tunes be changed on the fly or do i have to stop the truck then change? sorry if these questions sound stupid,just trying to learn.

:neener:neener:neener:neener:neener

·
unknown known most
15,249 Posts
Well in Alabama.....we don't even have inspection, so no worries here! Ha

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Regarding emissions, I'm not a tree eatin' Euell Gibbons kinda guy, but, at the rate we're going we are bound to destroy ours and future generations only means of survival:

The planet we live on.....:thinkkkkdeathing1

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
that was my other question, what do i use to monitor/change tunes after i get all done. and can the tunes be changed on the fly or do i have to stop the truck then change? sorry if these questions sound stupid,just trying to learn.

:neener:neener:neener:neener:neener
Not stupid, no different than I was. Course maybe that make ME stupid :poke[1]: :rofl

I just got a couple gauges and mounted them on the A pillar, boost and EGT. All I need to worry about. If you want more real time stuff, I hear the Edge displays are pretty popular.

With an EFI DSP5 (Duramax switchable tuner) switch, there is no stopping, just turn the dial, truck on or off, driving or stopped, does not matter. Not sure how it does it but I don't need to fully understand everything to enjoy it.:gearjamin

61 - 79 of 79 Posts