Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a new 3500 with the 6'9 bed. When I was going over the details, I asked for a hard folding tonneau cover that when folded all the way doesnt affect the rear view camera.

Does anyone know of a hard-folding tonneau cover (maybe a 4 fold vs a 3) that does not obstruct the rear view camera when all the way up?

Any information or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
91 Posts
I’ve been researching Roll’nLock and Retrax. They make some super nice covers that roll into them selves basically a box that hangs in the front top portion of the truck bed. Only drawback is that it eats up a bit of bed space so if every bit of bed space makes a difference you might be looking for other options. I think I am going with the Retrax PowerTraxPro RX. Price is not cheap especially on the electric models and I have heard they do not fair well in snow, ice and freezing temps. For me cold weather is not an issue and as far as the price it’s a buy once, cry once sorta deal(I’ve been saving up). This one has provided T-Slots in the rails that accept standard T-Slot attachments from many of the most popular companies (Thule,Yakima…etc). If you were to run a cross bar system above the bed it allows lots of options for carrying everything from Mtn Bikes to Kayaks to a cargo pod or roof top tent while leaving the truck bed empty. They have a clean low profile look and seem to be made well with high quality materials. Hopefully I can post pics of my own in about a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
2020 Chevy 3500 L5P CC LB SRW 2WD LTZ
141 Posts
I have the hard roll up (chevy third party) on a 2020 LB. I heard stories about issues rolling up when it has been cold and freezing but have not experienced it myself. I don't access the bed every day. It is pretty watertight through the car wash. I carry waterproof tubs in the bed for when we pull the 5th wheel so no worries on anythinggettingwet.

· Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
905 Posts
I run a diamondback hd. it does have to be removed for using a gooseneck or 5wheel. but it's just 4 bolts and pretty easy to do after the initial setup. can hold over 1500lbs on it.

Tire Sky Wheel Car Motor vehicle

very handy for things too big for the bed but you don't want to lug a trailer around. that was loaded by forklift.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the hard roll up (chevy third party) on a 2020 LB. I heard stories about issues rolling up when it has been cold and freezing but have not experienced it myself. I don't access the bed every day. It is pretty watertight through the car wash. I carry waterproof tubs in the bed for when we pull the 5th wheel so no worries on anythinggettingwet.
I had this on my old truck, a 1500 denali. The aluminum slats right?

they did freeze on me in the winter where the side metal locking piece wouldn’t go out and locked the tonneau cover down on one side. I’m trying to avoid that since this truck will be sitting outside and won’t be able to that properly sometimes.

· Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
905 Posts
you can alleviate a lot of freezing sticking by spraying the contact surfaces with silicone lube right before it gets freezing lasts through the winter then do it again next year. I do that to my door seals makes them so less sticky when it's cold as pss.

· Registered
222 Posts
I just placed an order for a lomax cover and bed matt. Loved the low profile, in side rails, and the ease to which it can be completly removed when needed. No tools to remove or put back in place.

@JonM21Ltz - Love that diamond back. Looks like a beast of of a cover.

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

· Registered
2021 3500HD Denali
42 Posts
I have a 2021 3500 HD Denali with a standard bed. I purchased the same folding bed cover that I had on my old 2017 3500 HD Denali. The
reason it needed to be changed is the 2020+ standard beds are longer.

Both were BAKILIP F1 Models. The one for my 2021 is part # 772133.

Both have (4) sections that fold. When towing our 5th Wheel, only (3) sections need to be folded open that are secured in place with the included R&L tie-downs.

If all (4) sections are open, the included R&L pivot rods keep the F1 tightly against the rear window. The F1 also includes (3) thick adessive pads that protect the
rear window when fully retracted.

Both the rear cab cameras (rearview mirror & 5th wheel hitch) work when either the (3) or (4) sections are folded open.

· Registered
2022 Sierra 2500 L5P
257 Posts
I have a 2021 3500 HD Denali with a standard bed. I purchased the same folding bed cover that I had on my old 2017 3500 HD Denali. The
reason it needed to be changed is the 2020+ standard beds are longer.

Both were BAKILIP F1 Models. The one for my 2021 is part # 772133.

Both have (4) sections that fold. When towing our 5th Wheel, only (3) sections need to be folded open that are secured in place with the included R&L tie-downs.

If all (4) sections are open, the included R&L pivot rods keep the F1 tightly against the rear window. The F1 also includes (3) thick adessive pads that protect the
rear window when fully retracted.

Both the rear cab cameras (rearview mirror & 5th wheel hitch) work when either the (3) or (4) sections are folded open.
Excellent, I thought the tri-flip would clear the 5th wheel, glad you provided a comment. I'll check out the BakFlip model.

· Registered
110 Posts
Got the lomax on. It folds to allow 2/3rds of bed, not full. But if want entire bed, it lifts out of the way easy enough.

Liking the looks. We'll see how well it holds up. View attachment 1101036 View attachment 1101037
now that you’ve had this cover on for a while, how do you like it?

Im debating between the Lomax and RollNLock. Would you buy it again and how have the hinges held up? What about water getting in the bed?

· Registered
2021 3500HD Denali
42 Posts
now that you’ve had this cover on for a while, how do you like it?

Im debating between the Lomax and RollNLock. Would you buy it again and how have the hinges held up? What about water getting in the bed?
I've had the BakFlip on both my SB Duramax's without any issues at all. No leaking or issues with the hinges. Folds up to the last position and allows for
clear vision when towing 5th wheel.

· Premium Member
2017 GMC sierra,Denali 3500 L5P
888 Posts
I have a Pace Edwards electric roll up has worked flawless so far for three years and not one drop of water gets in bed even after washing with a high pressure hose

· Registered
28 Posts
BAK X4. I've had this cover on my old half-ton and bought the quad fold for my 6'9'' bed 2500. It works well, holds a good amount of weight on top of it. It doesn't leak and can be configured reliably to be in any position you need regardless of towing or hauling. None of your cameras will be blocked by this cover either. It works great!

· Registered
110 Posts
@Ohiost90 now that you’ve had the Lomax for a bit, how do you like it? How water resistant is it? Do you find you wish it could stay open with the first panel folded?

Im in a dilemma on getting a Lomax or a Roll N Lock. I know they are two different styles but I’m stuck. The one thing keeping me from the Roll’nLock is having to drill drain holes in the bed of a new truck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts