Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone taken a regular roll up style and converted it to fit after installing a tool box?
was it hard?
how did you go about it ?
pics?
thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
Like this? I cut my vinyl cover and rails to fit my '01 1500. I just cut 17.5" off both side rails and then re-installed the front rail right behind the toolbox. I took the vinyl to an upholstery shop where they cut out a section and then re-sewed the front rail section back on. I had a stitched seam going across the cover about 6" back from the front. Worked great!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup just like that... i was hoping not to have to cut the cover and have a seem, i was hoping i could just separate one of the aluminum bars and slide it to where needed and reclamp the cover and then cut the excess...thanks for your help

·
Registered
632 Posts
Your box is not square and the cover isn't either, it follows the box contour so you will need to remove the vinyl from the area where the tool box sits so the cover fits tight for a stock look and fit. I was amazed at how long that cover lasted me, it was a GM cover from GM parts that I used for 11 years when I expected it to last 2-3 years max. It held up through heavy snow loads too...crazy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts