Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried to make a decision earlier in the year, but I'm still undecided which truck to purchase. These trucks cost way too much to be make a poor decision without a lot of research...

GMC Pros:
High Resale (in my area)
Good Ride Quality
Better Interior (SLT/Denali)
Larger Fuel Tank w/Short Bed
6.6 Duramax Is Proven To Be Reliable
Transmission does extremely well pulling 6 & 7% grades
Quiet
Two good GM Dealers within 45 minutes from my home

GMC Cons:
I'm not in love with the 2015 exterior design, but I'm really digging the upcoming 2016 GMC (1500) Design.
I know a new body style is coming around the corner and I'm trying to holdout but I needed a better truck yesterday.
No AC Vents for the rear passengers??!?! (my 2001 Silverado has this!!) - Does it get hot back there?
I'm a little confused by this but it has the lowest HP/TQ ratings on paper, but I hardly see the Duramax lose a stock competition on YouTube.
I was told by several people the transmission is close to being topped out and needs modifying before adding a simple programmer.
DEF Tank looks silly below the truck
Laura Buick GMC is roughly 7 hours away... :(

Ford Pros:
Highest TQ/HP claims for 2015/2016 model year
Transmission is capable of handling an extra 2-300hp according to the Ford Camp
Lots of room in Cab
I sorta like the plastic finishes as it's easier to scrub when dirty... lol
bench seat configuration is available with cooled seats (advertised at Holiday Ford in Texas)
Straight axle ( I never had a problem with IFS)
AC Vents for the rear passengers (I can't believe GM missed the mark here.)
I personally think the 2011-2016 body style looks awesome
I'm not a fan of exterior looks the upcoming 2017 model so I don't mind paying for an older body style for the next 3 years.
DEF fill up is beside the fuel cap
Steering is lighter and it's seemed to be easier to park
Wife likes the Ford better

Ford Cons:
A little stiffer when unloaded..
Appears to have poorest resale value on craigslist
Requires long bed for larger fuel tank
Long Term Reliability is still unknown IMO
I'll have to buy a plane ticket to Holiday Ford in TX to get the best deal on a 250/350.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Buy the gmc you won't be dissapointed. I went back and forth between my truck and the new dodges. Once I drove the gmc my mind was made up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you have waited this long I would do research on the 2016. Much more than just the body style changes of the 1500.
I've waited a little too long as my current truck isn't getting the job down efficiently. Hopefully, if something new is coming from GM they'll release a press release pretty soon. I'd like to wait a little longer just because the HP/TQ keep climbing (who doesn't love power), but in all seriousness I needed a new truck last year. I just kept putting it off because I couldn't justify the price tag, but now with a little baby on board I'd like to pull funds aside and apply it towards a newer and hopefully more reliable truck.

·
Registered
959 Posts
flip a coin both great trucks i came from a 2014 ford to a 2015.5 silverado, i miss the, ride, interior the seats and the "blow through" console, i like the front parking sensors on the chev.. and the cooled seats feel cooler, my next ride will most likely be a platinum ford.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm leaning more towards the Ford due to the ventilation for rear passengers. I think the towing and reliability seems to be close on both models now, and when trouble does appear it's due to the emissions. I'll update this thread once I make a final decision. The problem with searching for answers on the net is filtering out all the fan boy talk and recommendations from folks who don't own a diesel that repeats John Doe's monthly claims. Haha :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.