Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been researching Diesel trucks for a little while now. I have been leaning heavily towards the powerstroke because there are so many to chose from here in Texas. Then I started reading about the Cummins and love the motor but hate dodge. Now I am looking and a few pretty nice chevys have come up for sale in my area.

Anything I need to know about certain years or models? For example, on the PSD forums I learned of all the troubles with the 03 and 04 PSDs (just in time since I was looking at a 03….)

Chevy seems to have many models LB7 LLY LBZ LMM. What should I stay away from? Any information would be great. I really want a chevy! I have a 93 silverado now that I love. And every ford that we have had in the past just seems to eat stupid little parts (window motors, locks and little things like that…) plus I just like chevy better! Seems that the 04 and under is about in my price range, maybe an 05.

My plan is to pull a 35 ish foot toy hauler in the future. If everything goes well, it will be a 5th wheel.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well I have almost always been a Chevy man. I have to say that I do like powerstrokes but Im not sure I like them as well as I do the Duramax's. I can tell you right away that the LBZ Duramax is an awesome engine. We got a 2500hd with the LBZ and it is awesome. It will set you back in your seat and we havent even had it chipped. If I had to buy a truck older that 2003 I would probably go with the Powerstroke 7.3 or the Duramax 6.6 The early Duramax had injector problems but they warrantied for 200,000 miles. The newer Duramax trucks are warrantied for 100,000. The interior is way better on a Chevy that on a Ford. I would try to steer clear of the 03 Powerstrokes. Its really just whatever you prefer. All makes and models have had the problems.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When you said that "all makes and models have their problems i couldnt agree more" I purchased a 2007.5 GMC with the LMM and around 900 miles it developed an oil leak! Took the dealership a week 1/2 to find the problem. Anyways i dont think you could go wrong with a GM product.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
As long as the person before you didn't beat the living snot out of the truck....then you shouldn't have any major problems. The way I look at it is...the H1... is the most beastly, manly, bada$$ vehicle on the planet...and they run a Duramax in them. For me...that was enough to buy a GM. Plus you can't compare interiors to ANY other truck.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i would shoot for a 03 or 04 LB7 seeing they get the best fuel economy but if you want newer go with the 06 thru 07 LBZ,you can't beat the LBZ/Allison combo.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I would go for the LBZ allison 6spd combo. Chevy all the way!:)

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i don't know,the GMC truck is the better lookin in my book..

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yeah I do like the GMC's pretty well but I was able to get a better deal from the chevy house here because I knew the guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts