Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already drive a 2002 duramax in my silverado work truck, it is slightly modified and will get so more wed.
My wife has been driving a 2011 1500 LTZ. Only 22000 miles. Completely loaded out. It is paid for and she no longer drives it, instead drives a little nissan car. So I am thinking of selling and buying another duramax that I can modify and have a big truck.

Because of having a LTZ, I will for sure require leather/heated seats and steering wheel controls, I can step back too far. I have found a 2004.5 with an LLY, checked vin number for 8th digit it os good. It has 136000 miles $17,500, GMC SLT package. I will not be racing, do a bit of hauling or pulling, very little of that. Mostly a daily driver that will see about 15000 miles per year.

Question is am I crazy to be trading a 22000 miles vehicle for a 136000 mile one. Yes I know the engine is good for many more, but what about all other things?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Given what your uses of it are, I think you're crazy. You're asking this on a diesel forum though, so I expect you'll get a lot of answers in the other direction.

It sounds like you won't be "needing" the diesel engine for what you do 99% of the time, although the fuel economy would be a little better. My guess is it would offset by menial repairs and/or general pricey duramax maintenance.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Keep the 1500 and mod it up unless you somehow got a ltz with a 4.8 if thats even possible lol. The 5.3 or 6.2 are more then capable motors in those trucks. Not to mention you dont have to worry about unknown problems after purchase since you already own it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's your money to burn...I liked my 07 1500, I just did too much towing/hauling and needed to step up to a heavy duty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. The old truck is paid for and the new truck would leave me with 11k after the deal, way more then needed to do any mods I would need. But you guys may be right, my dad may roll over in his grave if I do the deal!!
Ting is my current truck is a short bed, not sure why I let the wife talk me i not that. The 2004.5 I am looking at is appointed very similar to my current ride. When I tow it will be for hauling bags of coal, mu neighbor did it with his dodge, 12 tons. He has now moved so it is up to me.

I know, I know, just making excuses now.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
358 Posts
All 1500 crew cabs (except the older 1500HDs) had a 5'8 bed, part of the reason why I got a 2500HD. A newer 1500 can haul quite a lot...I've pulled a trailer with a bobcat on it that was probably close to 15k. I don't recommend it on a frequent basis but it is really capable of pulling a lot of weight with the proper safety precautions.

·
Registered
520 Posts
A paidoff 2011 1500 ltz would be pretty comfortable to ride 15k a year in i'd imagine. You have the 02 for hauling/towing. We all have itches though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts