Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2005 Chevrolet 2500hd WT with the duramax. When driving for 15 or 20 miles at a constant speed of around 65, I'll notice black smoke coming from the exhaust going up small hills. I also notice a complete lack of power and I can't hear the turbo spin up, just lots of black smoke. I changed the air filter and cleaned the maf sensor but this still happens without the truck throwing a code and this problem is only intermittent, but now I'm noticing an increased amount of black smoke just starting off from a stand still. I've evan noticed other dmax's out accelerating me with little to no smoke while my truck can't seem to belch enough fo the black stuff. I took it to 2 different dealerships and they just tell me everything is normal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
check all your boots on your turbo and intercooler tube, make sure they are tight and you didnt have a rip in them

·
Registered
63 Posts
it sounds to me like the vvt seliniod is not working if you cant here the turbo if it was the intercooler or boots you would here your boost escapeing like an airleak we run into this on freitshakers all the time you should test your vvt selinoid may need replaced :drink

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure I don't have any leaks, but how do you check the VVT on the turbo? Also, could the maf be faulty enough to not throw a code but still starve the engine of air forcing the turbo not to spool up?

·
Registered
117 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
try changing the fuel filter. that usually fixs the problem.... sorry i had to. haha

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
If there was a boost leak wouldn't you get the same problem when you floor it? If so, well that might be the problem. Vane position sensor or solenoid might also be the culprit. Try to recreate the problem will WOT, and check the inter-cooler boots for leaks.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
i have the same problem. i have recently changed air filter, cleane the MAF sensor and changed the fuel filter. How can you check the VVT selinoid?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I can't tell how much you guys are kidding, but if it's smoking then it isn't having a problem getting fuel! haha...

VVT solenoid seems likely...the truck probably thinks it's getting more air then the turbo is actually feeding it, so a boost leak or turbo issue makes sense.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i agree thats its an air issue. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
785 Posts
subscribing too.

·
Registered
938 Posts
i'm agreeing with the solenoid if a boot was leaking you would still hear the turbo whistling

·
Registered
85 Posts
theres a good chance the vvt solenoid is my problem cause ive noticed that i havent heard the turbo lately. how do you check and see if this solenoid is working or not?

·
Registered
938 Posts
i thiknk you can pull it and take it to like advance auto or something and they can check them other then that i have no clue?

·
Registered
85 Posts
ok thanks, where is the soleniod?

·
Registered
938 Posts
no clue you can probably find a diagram on google or go to the dealer and ask to see it on there computer just tell them your goign to buy one they'll bring up the picture then just walk out

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I have a stock 2005 Chevrolet 2500hd WT with the duramax. When driving for 15 or 20 miles at a constant speed of around 65, I'll notice black smoke coming from the exhaust going up small hills. I also notice a complete lack of power and I can't hear the turbo spin up, just lots of black smoke. I changed the air filter and cleaned the maf sensor but this still happens without the truck throwing a code and this problem is only intermittent, but now I'm noticing an increased amount of black smoke just starting off from a stand still. I've evan noticed other dmax's out accelerating me with little to no smoke while my truck can't seem to belch enough fo the black stuff. I took it to 2 different dealerships and they just tell me everything is normal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!
Intermiitent EGR sticking would be what I would start looking for. Logging boost and egr position to start.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Whats he going to log it with?

I believe HP's scanner costs money (and it's next to worthless on diesels)... and correct me if I'm wrong but I thought EFI live's logger costs as well?...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts