Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my boyfriend has a 2004 duramax diesel..he's not good with online stuff so I'm here asking for a lil insight on what happened today to his truck..he said he left the engine running and popped the oil cap to add a quart and when he did it made a loud pop noise and motor shut off..water started leaking out TREMENDOUSLY and the motor wont turn over now..is this a head gasket issue
and possible water pump now or a more underlying issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thank you

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
welcome to the site. Clobber your BF over the head with a frying pan for his stupidity. Just kidding. We all make mistakes. Hopefully someone can provide some insight.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Why add oil when it's running....unless it's burning thru oil faster than Diesel fuel and you know you won't be checking the dip stick for proper level?

As to the pop and gushing coolant, dropping the filler cap into the turning fan....?

The starter won't turn over the engine? Or, it just won't start up?

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
I think there is more to this story.

Just removing the oil filler cap should not in and of itself cause what you describe.

Also many questions, where was the coolant coming from?

Does it not turn over, as in no power to starter or hydraulic locked (trying to turnover but won't spin)?

etc.

Reactions: DMAXfirefighter

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Yeahhhhh, were going to need more info.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
:rofl

Reactions: GMC-GDM

·
Registered
486 Posts
Something is not right in Smartsville.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Hello, my boyfriend has a 2004 duramax diesel..he's not good with online stuff so I'm here asking for a lil insight on what happened today to his truck..he said he left the engine running and popped the oil cap to add a quart and when he did it made a loud pop noise and motor shut off..water started leaking out TREMENDOUSLY and the motor wont turn over now..is this a head gasket issue
and possible water pump now or a more underlying issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..thank you

removing the oil cap should not cause that problem, however, i would not pour oil into a running engine... The water pump is on the front right of the block at the bottom next to the balancer when looking at the engine from the front of the truck. I would look at and around that for damage. maybe the thick cold oil pouring over the top end caused the waterpump gear to come off and popped the water pump seal? kind of a long shot but im not sure what else would cause it. Perhaps the water pump gear got lodged somewhere inside the housing and is preventing the engine from turning over? again, long shot but without more info to go on its the best i have.

I would really.... really hope he did not open the coolant cap and pour oil into it since its like 3 feet away from the oil cap and full of red coolant but that still wouldent explain the issue. It would cause long term problems, not instant problems.

If he did actually open the coolant cap instead of the oil cap.... i would strongly recommend he finds a good diesel shop and lets them do the work from now on. The oil cap is dead center on the front of the engine block between the alternator and the AC compressor. You can see it in this picture. You can also see the water pump in the bottom right corner of the engine.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yea it says 710 right on it >:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.