Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Interested in getting a tool box for the truck. I would like something thats low profile and black, but most importantly it needs to be able to withstand the weather!! It won't be removed frequently, so weight isn't a concern. I also need something with a good lock to keep the bums out of it since Im in Seattle. :thumb: Pictures are always nice too. Thanks in advance.

·
WOOD... man!
4,209 Posts
I installed a UWS low profile black powder coated box on my truck. They're pricey but well made. Top is double walled with insulation. I've stood on top of it to wash the top of the truck (but I'm not a heavy weight) without putting dents of creases on it.

There's a photo on post #35 of my build thread.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Rawson Koenig (RKI). Best on the market.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. Does anyone have any experience with the northern tool brand boxes? They look like pretty good boxes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a cam-lock and love it. To me, they're easier to open and close with the turning handle, instead of the handles that UWS has. And the cam-locks are pretty hard to break into.

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
I have one of the Deltas. Its not a low pro but i know they do have them. Its a great box so far, coming from a tractor supply box that i was ready to trash. I like that it has the push buttons to open it so when i lock it, it just disengages that mechanism so the buttons push in but dont do anything. As someone said before about another box i have stood on this one washing the truck and what not and the lid is as flat as the day i bought it.

·
Goin broke in style.
656 Posts
I have a cam-lock and love it. To me, they're easier to open and close with the turning handle, instead of the handles that UWS has. And the cam-locks are pretty hard to break into.
Thats what i was trying to think of but couldnt remember what it was called.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
WOOD... man!
4,209 Posts
Hello,

Interested in getting a tool box for the truck. I would like something thats low profile and black, but most importantly it needs to be able to withstand the weather!! It won't be removed frequently, so weight isn't a concern. I also need something with a good lock to keep the bums out of it since Im in Seattle. :thumb: Pictures are always nice too. Thanks in advance.

You could also do some searching on craigslist. I was all set to buy a low profile black Husky box from Home Depot. The only one in stock was beat up from shipping. It was around 289.00 and they offed it to me for 50.00 off. The kicker was... I typically get a 10% military break but they wouldn't let me use it if I accepted the 50.00 bucks off. Screw that! I found my UWS on craigslist for 200 bucks and didn't have to pay tax on it. Plus it was less than a year old and looked brand new. Lots of good deals on boxes out there. Especially with Christmas coming up, people wanting to make extra cash. And if you have anything to barter with, lot of guys like trading for stuff. I've ran across a couple of great deals on things lately trading for things I don't use anymore and don't have any money invested.

·
Premium Member
10,442 Posts
I've had several weather guard boxes and love them!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just bought a black weather guard chest style last night. Looks good and I can still see the tailgate. Got it off Craigslist for 200

·
Administrator
16,860 Posts
I will only buy Weatherguard tool boxes now.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I have a weather guard as well , got it on Craigslist for 250$ a few years ago , list price for it was 700$. Deals can be had on Craigslist sometimes . But the weather guard is an awesome box I wouldn't want anything else.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Weather guard is expensive but worth it. $700 bucks but it will last. Mine is on my 2nd truck now and looks brand new.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
mine is a low profile uws toolbox that i had line-x'd inside and out and installed led's inside that turn on with my factory bed lights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts