Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some 285s and after some trimming/zip tying I've got most of the rubbing gone, although there is a little bit on the rear fenderwells up front at steering lock. Does anyone know how many turns on the preload adjusters it takes for a certain amount of lift? I'm only looking for an inch or so increase in ride height.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just Crank on them evenly until you see the difference your looking for, in other words do one rotation on the left side then do 1 rotation on the right side bolt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my 1996 chevy 1500 i have my torsion bars cranked about 6 turns and i would imagine the front end came up 2-3 inches. Just to relieve the stress on the front end you should jack the front of the truck up before turning the adjusters. Go a couple turns on each adjuster if its not enough go more. Just dont go all out and crank them most of the way down that could throw you out of alignment. Thats just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW, I went with 3 full turns and gained about 0.75", so for my particular truck, it seems to be about 0.25" for each turn on the adjusters. Might be different for different cab/bed configurations.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
From what ive seen 4 turns will usually clear 285's good on stock wheels! When i adjust mine i pull on a smooth level floor and measure from one set point on each side of the truck and adjust untill i get the right look. Measure your truck stock i bet that it isnt level!!!!!! To make my truck level i go 5 turns from loose on the drivers side and 7 turns on the pass side from loose!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as posted, I went with three turns, it sure isn't level, but that wasn't really the point. I just wanted full steering lock without rub. It might still rub at lock if the truck was twisted up off road. I like a slight rake, but not as much as there is from the factory. I'm sure I could have cleared the 285s on stock wheels with only some zip tyes and plastic trimming, but with the 8" wide wheels and 4" of backspace, the tires stuck out a little farther than a stocker for sure!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
I was thinking about 285's myself. Is it at all possible to put 285's on w/ stock wheels and not touch the torsion bars at all???
i put a set of 285's on a customers truck without touching the T/Bars but it would rub slightly in hard turns so with a small twist of the T/Bars they cleared..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm no expert, but based on my truck I'm pretty sure the 285s would've fit easily on the stock wheels. Might have had to trim some plastic and zip tie the e-brake cable, but nothing noticeable I'm sure.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
Yeah get it aligned. I need to do some more trimming on mine. I had mine aligned after I cranked it up and gained about 1.5" or so. ON my 05 Gasser I had them pretty much cranked all the way.

Ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.