Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I intend to get the stage iv cognito kit from nor-cal truck eventually, currently re-building the recently depleted truck fund. Until I can get the leveling kit, I was considering cranking the torsion bars to raise the front of the truck about an inch or so. Currently my truck has a 2.5" rake. I've read Nick's thread on leveling these trucks and the possible damage to front end components that you risk when leveling with the torsion bars alone. If I don't go all the way to level, maybe only half way, am I still risking damage to the ball joints, etc.? :help

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
The important thing to look at is not so much how much you crank the bars or how level it is, you have to look at the angles in your front end. tie rods and cv shafts, and also the droop stops. Nick's thread shows pics of what to look for and how much space should be left between the droop stop and the UCA

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The important thing to look at is not so much how much you crank the bars or how level it is, you have to look at the angles in your front end. tie rods and cv shafts, and also the droop stops. Nick's thread shows pics of what to look for and how much space should be left between the droop stop and the UCA
I realize that and I know Nick talks about the "green" zone in his thread. If I crank them and remain in the "green" zone, does that mean my angles will be fine? I'm not comfortable with my knowledge of what would be a good angle or bad angle for the CV joints. The ball joint angle is fairly obvious, but the CV axle angles are a bit tougher for me to understand.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You'll be fine. Theres hundreds and hundreds of guys that have levelled these just by cranking up the bars. Just don't go doing boosted 4wd launches!

Keep in mind you should really have an alignment done after changing front end height. I think these trucks have something like 3" of toe measurement change through the suspension stroke. Depends how much you like your tires, and how long you plan on driving like that I guess.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll be fine. Theres hundreds and hundreds of guys that have levelled these just by cranking up the bars. Just don't go doing boosted 4wd launches!

Keep in mind you should really have an alignment done after changing front end height. I think these trucks have something like 3" of toe measurement change through the suspension stroke. Depends how much you like your tires, and how long you plan on driving like that I guess.
Thanks for the information! I'll have to keep the alignment in mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any one else have any input on torsion bar adjustments?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
If you keep it in the 'green zone' you should be fine for normal everyday driving. Some parts might wear a little quicker being at more of an angle than stock. If you plan on doing any drag racing or sled pulling you should drop the torsion bars back down when you are racing, then you can raise them back up when your done. I put some never sieze on my bolts so I know they'll be easy to adjust when I need to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts