Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any home made torsion bar adjusters that work as well as the actual tool? Or should I spend the $125 on a real one. Going to install a 2" leveling kit on my 2011 LML :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
A lot of stored energy in those bars when slacking the keys off or cranking them up. Id personally get the proper tool to avoid injury.

Theres a chance theres someone close that could borrow you theirs…….

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
X 2 torsion bars being taken off incorrectly have killed people. But then again if you have the skills to design and make your own, then dont let us hold you back ;)

·
WOOD... man!
4,209 Posts
I'm surprised there aren't more torsion bar tools sold in the classifieds after being used or trucks get sold.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Auto zone, rent one and when you return it you get your money back

·
WOOD... man!
4,209 Posts

·
Registered
2020 2500 CCSB Sierra SLT
259 Posts
I found one on ebay for $60... Its just a heavy duty c clamp style arm with a jackscrew. Not much to it, but it is a big chunk of steel to take the tension off those bars.

I have seen videos of people using large c-clamps to do it... But keep in mind those keys are under THOUSANDS of pounds of force... You can get seriously hurt if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I've used a ball joint press before. They are built much heavier than just a regular c-clamp. I needed to make a pin to engage into the torsion bar so it would seat better but it worked well after that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
make sure you use the proper one , I saw a guy lose a finger trying not to buy one. What a cheap price 125.00 to keep that finger!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts