Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These bear with me, the situation I am in is very difficult to put into words. What I am finding is that in my 03 Silverado, when you turn either left or right 90% or more of the entire steering length, like to the maximum turning posistion, the front wheels almost drag and the truck acts like four-wheel-drive has not released. I have lifted the truck up off the ground and have confirmed that the truck is in fact in 2 Wheel Dr., and the differential upfront has disengaged so the wheels are spinning freely of each other. I got the alignment checked, and that is spot on as well. It's kind of hard to describe but it almost feels like the truck is stuck in 4 Wheel Dr. even though it is not. And this only happens when you're turned fully or over 90% of the allowed steering. Does anybody know what would cause this? Another thing I noticed is that when you do turn the full length and the wheels drag, if you let go of the wheel it will stay driving in the fully turned position either left or right infinitely, almost like something gets overturned and it wants to continue turning even though it has hit the stops and cannot turn anymore. I am a total loss and I have never had this happen before. The lower ball joints could be replaced, but I don't think that is causing it because they are not really far gone just yet. I have had all sorts of suggestions from steering box to a dead battery. And I am just more confused than I was when I originally asked the question on Facebook. I'm hoping that someone here has better input. And it is not me, it is definitely dragging the tires because it left a skidmark on the driveway this morning when backing out from beside the house. It will drive straight and you can turn in either direction roughly 85% without issues it's only when you go can 90% or more of a full turn that it starts to lock up

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had the same problem on my 92 chevy 1/2 ton after I did the control arm bushings. While it didn't leave skid marks, once turned almost all the way to lock either side it would stay there and do circles all day. It was my alignment. After I had it aligned it didn't do it anymore. When did it start doing this? Do you have the alignment sheet that shows before and after numbers? I believe this would be a caster issue. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
X2, some alignment guys are yards, bet your caster is way off

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was not given a sheet, however I would like to think they knew what they were doing because I do know the kid. However I will get it doublecheck. Any other thoughts though? I know it's going to need lower ball joints at some point but they're ok now yet so I doubt it is that.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Is your truck leveled?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Negative, stock everything on the truck in question

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Alignment for sure. Mine does this sorta. It feels like it pushed but only to the right, but I'm due for an alignment check and rotation so I'm not worried.

Have the alignment checked, get tire balances checked and make sure all 11 points on the front end have been greased. Then get back to us

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was not given a sheet, however I would like to think they knew what they were doing because I do know the kid. However I will get it doublecheck. Any other thoughts though? I know it's going to need lower ball joints at some point but they're ok now yet so I doubt it is that.
If your unsure about your ball joints. Most shops will check the front end while the vehicle is on the rack since its quick and easy to jack up. Maybe ask your friend if they could do that quick, so your not paying for an alignment twice if it needs front end work.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
No shop should align a vehicle with front end play out of spec. The alignment will not be true, where I used to work we would always check the front end first and advise the customer. If they still wanted an alignment then we would make a not stating we told them they have front end play and the alignment may not fix their issue or be true. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
My guess is that they set camber and toe in and let caster fall where it did, I've found that a lot of shops are lazy about alignments and as long as the truck doesn't pull they say it's fine. If you have slop in any of your front end parts it will cause issues at some point that no alignment can fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts