Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we move from road construction to road salt season in the Midwest looking for some reassurance from those with 2020+ that our crew cab short beds fit in automated car washes made for 84” (7’) without issue? Mostly have Kwik Trips for this option so if you have gone through them give me some courage to take it through this winter.

Thanks!

· Registered
684 Posts
Not sure why it wouldn’t but if there’s any brushes or cloth involved in the wash at all I’d avoid it all together either way.

almost every brushless wash I’ve seen also has sensors to where it’ll stop mid wash if it can’t make it all the way around a vehicle.

· Registered
2021 Silverado 2500HD LTZ L5P
905 Posts
I have a crew cab 6.9' bed single non dually and mine works at kwik trip washes. The roof will make a loud popping noise sometimes when you go through the stupid blow drier.

Never run any vehicle you care about throught a soft touch wash. Those things scratch paint and damage mirrors.

I hand wash my vehicles until winter then use touchless ones to knock road salt off the underside during winter

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a crew cab 6.9' bed single non dually and mine works at kwik trip washes. The roof will make a loud popping noise sometimes when you go through the stupid blow drier.

Never run any vehicle you care about throught a soft touch wash. Those things scratch paint and damage mirrors.

I hand wash my vehicles until winter then use touchless ones to knock road salt off the underside during winter
Thanks for the real life input. That’s what I figured being 7’ limit with 4” to spare. Didn’t want to hear some horror story of leaks after being so close to the nozzles. Thanks again!

· Registered
905 Posts
Thanks for the real life input. That’s what I figured being 7’ limit with 4” to spare. Didn’t want to hear some horror story of leaks after being so close to the nozzles. Thanks again!
Well I dont have a sunroof. Ordered the truck specifically without one. Doors and rear slider do not leak. I run my 1989 formula 350 through a touchless now and then to hit the underbody. Those aren't exactly known for being leak proof and it doesnt have issues.

· Registered
7,489 Posts
Just ask the car wash attendant if your truck will fit without any problems. Not every carwash is the same size, so ask.

· Registered
87 Posts
Have not had an issue but as previously stated, if the blower is decent, it sounds like it temporarily dents the roof in. Not too keen on that...

· Registered
905 Posts
Have not had an issue but as previously stated, if the blower is decent, it sounds like it temporarily dents the roof in. Not too keen on that...
they can. it doesn't happen all the time or every wash. it seems like it pushes it down then it pops back. the sound is a little disturbing. but there has been zero damage and I inspect it each time it happens.

sucks I can't just say don't use that stupid blower....

· Registered
7,835 Posts
2023 2500 height is listed as between 79 and 80", depending on truck version.
2023 3500's are between 80 and 81", depending on version.

· Premium Member
2020 L5P Z71, 2018 L5P High Country
86 Posts
I have not found a car wash yet that I can fit in that does a good job, we have a chain with jumbo wash that can take dually trucks, and I can comfortably fit if I wanted to, but it’s a soft cloth, and I like my trucks shiny! The only touchless I can fit in with the 2020 z71, is so tight, that it does not wash very well, these 2020 up trucks are just massive!
i use the power washer bay type wash, and then Enthuzst brand detail spray with a microfiber to “pet” it as my wife would say, after I get it in the barn.

· Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
288 Posts
I have not found a car wash yet that I can fit in that does a good job, we have a chain with jumbo wash that can take dually trucks, and I can comfortably fit if I wanted to, but it’s a soft cloth, and I like my trucks shiny! The only touchless I can fit in with the 2020 z71, is so tight, that it does not wash very well, these 2020 up trucks are just massive!
i use the power washer bay type wash, and then Enthuzst brand detail spray with a microfiber to “pet” it as my wife would say, after I get it in the barn.
Yeah that’s my problem. I had a touch less near me that fit my F250 short bed just barely but have yet to find one that will accommodate my SRW long bed that’s touchless.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a2018 2500hd crew cab. I use kwik trip touchless wash. Does a great job.
One thing has popped up is the hood micro switch has been replaced twice. The last one I turned upside down and water poured out of it. Just a fyi

· Registered
868 Posts
they can. it doesn't happen all the time or every wash. it seems like it pushes it down then it pops back. the sound is a little disturbing. but there has been zero damage and I inspect it each time it happens.

sucks I can't just say don't use that stupid blower....
That roof-popping also happens to my truck when towing the fifth wheel into a strong headwind. I don’t like it and it scares the crap out of the dog. But has never caused any damage that I know of.

· Registered
2022 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LT 4x4
79 Posts
I've been able to fit into all of the newer car washes just fine. You do need to remove the antenna and fold the mirrors in, either manually or with the auto fold. The older car washes are a really tight fit - almost too tight. All the manual washes are closed around here except the Blue Light Truck Wash (tractor-trailers and big RVs fit just fine). The brushless car wash works OK but.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts