Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So many options and my first time pulling with a Diesel Truck; so which is it???

I am picking up my new camper in two weeks : 2010 Rockwood Ultralite 2501SS.

For the sake of towing let's just say I will have her fully loaded to capacity at 6500 lbs. I know my new DMAX can more than handle it and some have told me I went overkill in getting the DMAX, but I wanted to Tow without feeling I was towing; I wanted smooth sailing, as I was tired of pulling with my 1/2 Ton Gasser and previous camper :gearjamin.

Ok my question: With so many towing options on my LLY:

1. which one for hauling 6500lbs?
2. is one preferred over the other "OD" , "OverDrive Disabled" , "Tow/Haul Mode" or "3rd" Gear?
3. What are some of the differences?
4. Fuel economy and Pros and Cons of one over the others?

Thanks in advance for all of your inputs and expertise, as this is my first Diesel - and I've been loven' this Truck :rockin

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
u only really turn overdrive on when u want to downgear, for watever reason. 2001/2002's didnt come with the Overdrive feature, but Tow/Haul does all u need

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just use tow haul for 6500lbs, you only need the OD disabled function if your truck is shifting in and out of 5th gear all the time with a big ass load. Tow haul i think just locks up the torque converter sooner and changes the shift characteristics if I remember correctly. Some tranny guy on here will prob explain it in better detail.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I forget, how do you turn the OD on and off again? Some said it on another post, but i can't find it lol.

·
Registered
505 Posts
they dont have on and off for the Od just put it in tow/haul and that disables the OD

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forget, how do you turn the OD on and off again? Some said it on another post, but i can't find it lol.
they dont have on and off for the Od just put it in tow/haul and that disables the OD
I'm new to Diesel, more importantly Duramax's; but, my 2005 does have OD Disabled in addition to the Tow/Haul.

You push in for the Tow/Haul on & off, but you push in and "hold" for OD on & off.

·
Registered
505 Posts
no you just push in one and that puts it in tow/haul and the little trailer light will show up in the top right of the dash when the tow/haul is on. As far as disabling the Od I always thought that you would just pull it down in gear 3 and that will keep it from going to OD or like above stated.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
to dissable it you press the tow haul button in but hold it then let it go

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no you just push in one and that puts it in tow/haul and the little trailer light will show up in the top right of the dash when the tow/haul is on. As far as disabling the Od I always thought that you would just pull it down in gear 3 and that will keep it from going to OD or like above stated.
I too always thought the same. 3rd would be "OD" off for vehicles without an actual OD Button. This is why I was confused.

My '05 has the OD Disable capability and the "3".

I again checked and OD is toggled on and off by using the same Tow/Haul button and just holding it in a little longer. I to confirmed by using the button you can have the Truck in the Tow/Haul Mode and in the OD Disabled at the same time, with both displayed in the dash.

However, I think the consensus to my original towing question has been: Always use "Tow/Haul" mode when towing. Thanks again everyone, I love this site and my New to me Duramax.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This was the same question I had as I am about to purchase a similar new-to-me Duramax. I would probably tow my TT (6,000 lbs. plus) just in Tow/Haul mode most of the time but if I was going across a stretch with pretty constant up and down that caused the transmission to shift out of OD on a constant basis I would lock out the OD while maintaining the Tow/Haul mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts