Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone i am a new member to this site and just had a question about my T/H mode on my 08 2500 D-max. i was just recently told that driving in T/H mode was better for your truck than just driving regularly.. is this true?? If so are there any downsides to doing so without a load behind you, other than not as good mpg's.

one more question if i were at a stop light and was in T/H mode at what speed/gear would be best to disengage T/H to get back to cruising or can i just cruse with it on all the time.

thanks for all the help i stumbled upon this forum and it has done nothing but help me gain a better understanding for everything diesel thanks to all of you!!
thank you!!:rockin:drink

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Aside from higher RPM's, thus crappier fuel mileage, using tow haul will not harm anything. I use mine a lot running around town just to save wear and tear on my brakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tow Haul Mode is great, however after a while the two wires that lead up through the shifter will fray and eventually break, leaving you without the beloved tow haul mode. My suggestion to fix this problem that will happen eventually is this:
1: Take off your lower dash panel and the lower part of the steering wheel cover.
2: You should see, after rolling back the rubber around the shifter a bit, 2 very thin gauge orange wires leading from the shift handle to the wiring center under the dash, locate these wires, and about 1-2" from where they exit the shifter, there is a square holder that is secured to a thin sheet of metal with barbs, the holder has sharp and very square edges, wearing through the wire bit by bit each time you shift gears, remove this wire and wrap some electrical tape around each of the individual wires and then re-assemble everything.

Mine actually chewed through the wires one day when I was hauling a fully loaded gooseneck up a mountain pass, here I was chugging along and the tranny temp was going up and up and up....talk about making someone nervous.

So do yourself a favor and get rid of that dreaded little black clip holder!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tow Haul Mode is great, however after a while the two wires that lead up through the shifter will fray and eventually break, leaving you without the beloved tow haul mode. My suggestion to fix this problem that will happen eventually is this:
1: Take off your lower dash panel and the lower part of the steering wheel cover.
2: You should see, after rolling back the rubber around the shifter a bit, 2 very thin gauge orange wires leading from the shift handle to the wiring center under the dash, locate these wires, and about 1-2" from where they exit the shifter, there is a square holder that is secured to a thin sheet of metal with barbs, the holder has sharp and very square edges, wearing through the wire bit by bit each time you shift gears, remove this wire and wrap some electrical tape around each of the individual wires and then re-assemble everything.

Mine actually chewed through the wires one day when I was hauling a fully loaded gooseneck up a mountain pass, here I was chugging along and the tranny temp was going up and up and up....talk about making someone nervous.

So do yourself a favor and get rid of that dreaded little black clip holder!
not to hijack the op's thread but thank you for that. i never knew that existed. when it warms outside and you don't step out and have your fingers instantly freeze i'll be tearing into my dash to look for that set up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts