Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my tow haul doesnt work i hit the button on the shifter and nothing happens so how do i trouble shoot this or is there any known problems with this?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so how do i repair this and how do i get to it

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
there should be a way to either remove the button the end.....or a small tab insert that you may be able to pop out,have not really examined mine that close,but when you do find them its only a matter of touching the two wires together and checking if tow/haul engages I would think??on most of the older vehicles there is a small pin that you drive out and that holds the column shifters on

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
so my tow haul doesnt work i hit the button on the shifter and nothing happens so how do i trouble shoot this or is there any known problems with this?
boy you too huh? i was gonna ask that same question. thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Me three. It must be a known problem.
I'm waiting for it to warm up outside before I try taking stuff apart to see what's wrong.
I'd like to get tow/haul working before the trailer season this summer.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Its never happened to me but the wire usually breaks right at the pivot point of the gear selecter
does that alos stop the over driver lock out to stop working

·
Registered
687 Posts
Press button once for T/H mode...Press and hold to disable overdrive. To the OP, are you sure it does nothing? Is it possible the light just doesn't come on? If you press and hold, does the O/D off light come on?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nothing happens when i hit the button nothing at all

·
Registered
686 Posts
so on the 05 lly u can hold the t/h button and take it off, nice

·
Registered
687 Posts
on the early 06 lly you cant take the overdrive off it just turns on and off tow haul
Have you pressed and held the T/H button? That is how to turn off O/D. This should be in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
is this a early version or across the board on all trucks?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yea mine does the same thing but if I shift it down into manuel or first,then it works.loose connection maybe?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I managed to get to the Tow/Haul switch problem today.
The orange wire coming from the switch at the end of the column is actually a harder sheath for the 4 wires (2 white and 2 black) that run from the switch to somewhere under the dash. As was suggested I removed the steering column cover and there the break was - right at a strain relief. There was enough slack (after taking off the strain relief) to pull enough out to solder a small gauge wire (with a low wattage soldering iron) to repair the broken white wire and wrap it in electrical tape. Tow haul light (which is actually a LED) now works as advertised. I know its a LED because I took the dash/cluster apart first (before I saw this thread :mad:) to see if a bulb was burnt out. The only bulbs there are the dash illumination ones, and they are incandescent so they can be dimmed. All the status "lamps" are LED's.
Repair time was about an hour - I'm not too good at the mechanical stuff, but let me loose with a soldering iron, and I'm pretty quick :)
Hope this post helps someone else. Cheers. Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.