Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I purchased my 2011 2500 CCLB a few months ago, and I finally got it weighed this weekend. I was surprised how much it weighed (7940 with a full tank and me in it). This got me thinking about some of the weight ratings thought. With a GVWR of 10,000#, this only leaves a little over 2000# assuming I dont have any other passengers with me. GM says the max gooseneck/FW capacity is 15,600# for this model. Assuming a 15% pin weight, this alone would put me over the GVWR (10,280#), and thats with no passengers! Also, my rear axle weight was 3140# and the RAWR is 6200. This tells me that my rear axle can handle an additional 3060#, but that puts me way over the GVWR! Is the GVWR a BS number that GM understated in order to keep the 2500 out of the "commercial truck" category, when in reality the truck can handle much more than 10,000# GVWR? Or is there a flaw in my logic somewhere? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't argue with your logic - that is the way I was told it works. You have me worried since the dry pin weight on my FW is just shy of 2,000#. I guess I need to hit the scales as well unless maybe you weight about 500#. The sales brochure states the payload capacity is more than 3,300# so I don't understand how it can drop so much. Frankly this was the most frustrating issue I had when shopping for a new truck.

Have you mounted a gooseneck or FW hitch (or any other weighty options) that is included in your weight?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only things I've done to my truck is undercoating and a spray in liner. I had maybe 25# of misc stuff in the back seat and I weigh 180. I'm tempted to believe that the GVWR is an artificial number to get the truck into a lower class. Wouldn't the rear axle be the limiting factor here, therefore the RAWR is the important number, not the GVWR?

·
Registered
5 Posts
There may be merit to a couple of your comments...with reference to the rear axle, it too had me wondering...as if all of the other numbers weren't confusing enough. In another post, I was wondering why there can be such a significant differance in in tow rating with different (albeit not a significant difference) in rear ends. 4000 lb difference. Engine & tranny being the same. Your calculations seem correct to me...maybe GM should have a class somewhere to clear this all up. The other comment was the understating of payload to keep it out of the commercial truck category...goood point.

·
Registered
225 Posts
good topic -- a little curious on the 2011+ models payload capacity also.. Had always heard it was increased from the previous years -- but based on your numbers, it seems there isn't any extra payload capacity over my '07 where it's around 7200 with just me (& full fuel tank) in it but GVWR 9200 = ~2000# left.
As far as the axle ratings, the older models are similar: FAWR + RAWR > GVWR

·
Registered
81 Posts
I finally got around to filling my tank and headed to the scales. My standard bed CC weighed in at 7840# (4600 front and 3240 rear) which leaves 2160 to reach the 10000# GVWR. That included 180 for me, about 260 for fuel, 20 +/- for misc., plus the following options/add-ons: undercoating spray, running boards, air bags, bed step and 5th wheel hitch. Maybe 800# total but that still leaves a couple of hundred #s of advertised payload missing. There must be some sort of "creative accounting" going on.

The good news, I guess, is I then weighed the truck and trailer; a total of 19,060#. The rear axle weight was 5,560# so that was well under the 6,200# rating even though I was at 10,160# for GVWR.

Not sure any of this helps - it just seems to confirm your numbers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well at least I'm not the only one! Are there any GM experts out there who can shed a little light on this situation?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts