Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to the Diesel world, and new to having a rig capable of actually pulling out another vehicle, plus I'm one of those people who like to research/learn how to do this the right way before attempting them to ensure I don't make some bonehead decision that ends up costing me $$$$ in repairs due to my lack of knowledge on something.

So I've been outfitting my rig with some basic "accessories" such as jumper cables, ratchet straps, tow hitch/ball, bottle opener :), bed spider net, some basic tools etc. and next I'd like to get one of those 10,000lbs tow straps to throw in the mix.

I'm just looking for some advice on what are the proper techniques, big no-no's, and safety precautions when trying to pull/yank a vehicle out of the mud, sand, etc.

I know the "duh" things like don't attach the strap to a bolt on bumper, rather find a town hook or a part of the frame to pull against.

But what about just hooking it up via the tow "hook" vs. wrapping the strap around itself? Is one way better than another?

I've also heard you should throw a towel, or jacket over the connection to damper any recoil should the strap break.

Where is the best place to hook it to the truck? Is the rear tow hitch/frame better than one of the front tow hooks?

What other things should I know?

thanks looking forward to learning some stuff!

·
Doin it...
1,278 Posts
This is gonna be a good thread! Sub'd

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Don't yank. You could easily snap your strap that way. The shovel or jacket idea is correct. The tow hooks on the front work well because all your weight is on the front. The most important thing to have on your at all times is COMMON SENSE

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
You sound like you have a good idea what to do and what not to do...but

1. try to avoid using shackles to connect straps to tow hook/hitch
2. Never wrap/hook the strap on the ball on your hitch (put the loop in your reciever and throw your pin through it)
3. Never use a chain....chains are for holding loads down not yanking/pulling
4. Be careful with cars, they are fragile
5. Always be prepared for the strap to break ie.. watch out for trees in front of your truck while you are pulling on another
6. throwing a big towel or jacket on a strap does help
7. Never use ratchet straps...they break fast lol
8. Never use those tow straps with the hooks on the end (hooks=projectiles)
9. when you wrap the strap back on itself (choking it) it de-rates the load capacity

There was a kid killed in powerline park in ohio a year or two ago if i remember right. Was pulling someone out with a chain i think, and it broke and came through the back window.

If you have the money...just get a winch..lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
i just use the same chains i use to chain the tractor down.
i never use those tow straps, i just hook it to the reciver, if it doesnt come out easy.
just back up and give it some gas.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Get a big ass strap, hook up, give er some slack and pin it. Your best friend is Moe Mentum. Just try to keep the load centered between the frame rails as to not tweek the frame to one side or the other.:thumb

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You sound like you have a good idea what to do and what not to do...but

1. try to avoid using shackles to connect straps to tow hook/hitch
2. Never wrap/hook the strap on the ball on your hitch (put the loop in your reciever and throw your pin through it)
3. Never use a chain....chains are for holding loads down not yanking/pulling
4. Be careful with cars, they are fragile
5. Always be prepared for the strap to break ie.. watch out for trees in front of your truck while you are pulling on another
6. throwing a big towel or jacket on a strap does help
7. Never use ratchet straps...they break fast lol
8. Never use those tow straps with the hooks on the end (hooks=projectiles)
9. when you wrap the strap back on itself (choking it) it de-rates the load capacity

If you have the money...just get a winch..lol
Thanks for the detailed response, this is the kind of info I've been looking for. I don't wan to spend the money on a winch as I don't really plan on having to utilize these capabilities but a few random times (not taking my truck wheeling or anything) but we were just down at the beach awhile back and saw a car get stuck and had to watch a F#RD F-350 pull it out b/c he had a strap. I looked at my wife and said "if I had a strap we could've helped them out." So that's what started this. Here's the strap I'm looking at. You mentioned not buying one with hooks as they're projectiles. What would you recommend?

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I would not get that strap. We had a tow stap with hook and the hook open up and flew through the back window of my buddy's wheeler and shattered out buddy's elbow! It was horrific.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app...

·
Registered
248 Posts
don't get the ones with hooks, just a loop... like these
Recovery Straps - Off Road Unlimited
I agree, but if he's going to be pullin ricers out of the sand on the beach, he's going to need some sort of metal hook or length of chain as not many cars have tow hooks. Sharp metal edges are a killer on any nylon strap, no matter what load rating it has.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
^^ Like the link he posted...

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I agree, but if he's going to be pullin ricers out of the sand on the beach, he's going to need some sort of metal hook or length of chain as not many cars have tow hooks. Sharp metal edges are a killer on any nylon strap, no matter what load rating it has.
Well yea.... easing a ricer out of the sand would be fine with the strap with hooks. But trying to yank another diesel up out of the sand or mud...different story. So i guess he needs to buy two different straps to be well equiped..lol

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
This should cover it!! Carry a length of chain with some hooks on it just in case. I like how they use the term "Slingshot" in the product description.

http://www.princessauto.com/trailer...p-assemblies/8021892-6-x-30-ft-recovery-strap
Now thats a strap! lol

Sometimes you just need a winch though. This one time.... my buddy got his wrangler stuck in some nasty mud. Broke 3 decent straps trying to pull/yank him out, then moved onto ratchet straps, those didn't last long. Then got a truck out there with a winch on, after he had to stop to let it cool down 3 or 4 times he finally tugged him out..

·
Registered
568 Posts
Dont take a run with slack in the strap unless you have to make sure to buy a good heavy strap it you have to pull out another diesel its alot of stress on that strap. I got a 28,000 pound max one i use for pickups.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
great info guys, keep it coming!

So with the straps that have loops on either end vs. hooks when you have a rig like a ricer that doesn't have hooks do you just push the chain inside of the loop at the end of the straps and use the hooks on the chain to actually hold onto the car?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
One general rule of thumb I always live by is that you ALWAYS let them hook up their end. (be carefully watching them of course to make sure it isn't going to slip off/ come hurling at your rear window). And make sure you tell them that you are going to go easy with it, but you are in no way responsible for any damages that occur on their end. Just like i said make sure you watch them, i've had countless people try to wrap my strap around tie rods :rof

I'm a fan of tow ropes myself. Always wanted to buy a bubba rope, but havent been able to justify the coin on one.. however if you're playing in the sand a whole lot i would definitely recommend one due to their bungee characteristics. I went to my local farm store and bought a tow rope they sell for their tractors and it's been good to me thus far. Oh and anything with metal attatched to it has always been a nono in my book, spells too much disaster. Pick yourself up a set of strong clevis' and an extra receiver (without ball) for your setup and you'll be golden

·
Boom goes the Dynamite
1,123 Posts
I agree that straps overall are great and that bubba ropes kick ass but some times chains do come in handy, I always carry about 50 foot of good solid chains it allows me to stay on a nice surface when pulling someone out just use caution

1 - 20 of 51 Posts