Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you are using a dsp switch and running tow and economy tunes. Would like some real world comparison. I'll be getting my ecm tuned soon and debating whether to go dsp switch or not. I don't really care about extra hp. Looking for towing and economy. My truck tows my signature rv to job, then it's my commute vehicle until next pull. I follow construction shutdowns. I do also cross country runs on major holidays. Home in NC.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or maybe I should ask, will a tow tune double as a good economy tune? I don't really mind installing the switch but not really interested in it if I don't need it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My tow tune and economy tune are the same. From my understanding there isnt a massive difference between the two

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
except you can have a turbo brake built into the tow tune. sounds like your best bet is just a dsp2 switch...have a daily driving tune and a tow tune with a built in turbo brake!

·
Registered
915 Posts
My tow tune and my economy tune are two different tunes. My tow tune has more boost than my econ tune to keep the egts down. That being said my econ tune has very little boost compared to my tow tune for better fuel mileage. it doesn't make that big of a difference of you do have a tow and econ as the same tune anyways IMO

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. That's what I was interested in. Will get a switch then. God bless.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
My tow tune and economy tune are the same. From my understanding there isnt a massive difference between the two
Unloaded economy, and towing, occupy completely areas of the ECM. There is no reason that either of these concepts should be considered exclusive of the other.

The response here is correct.

bpe1, it seems you are going to have a tough time, so many of the responses you are getting to your various inquiries have a rainbow of responses. I'm sure it is tough to know what to believe. I am not a believer that a tow tune, tunes for egt reduction. EGT is not an evil thing, it is primarily the byproduct/symptom of power generation. These forums make everyone afraid of it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used nicks 330 tune and it got 21mpg.
that tune gets the best mileage for me.
On my tow tunes i like the turbo to be there when i need it
so they dont get very good mileage.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Timing should be adjusted by the ECM with changing conditions, for all tunes. When the cylinder gets hotter, for example, timing should be retarded. Good tuning practices require that for all power tunes, towing or racing.

In most of my tunes, on grade timing will vary as much as 10 degrees depending on changing IAT, ECT, etc. Overadvanced timing (for the conditions) is a big power reduction as well, with more torque trying to turn the motor backward.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You only need one good tune for what you want to do.

·
Registered
926 Posts
You only need one good tune for what you want to do.
I agree 100%. I have had the DSP5 switch since LBZ public beta release, and have only switched it to make sure it still works. Mine is always on one tune. The only thing is, if you send someone else in your truck, they could screw it up in a few miles, trucks that are custom tuned are tuned to the driver, not the truck.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
they make key lock switches now for the dsp's......what exactly does DSP stand for>?

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
haha makes perfect sence lol thanks!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you're saying there is no difference in mpg with a tow tune and an economy tune?

·
Registered
207 Posts
One can be built for both especially if you ain't adding much power. Now if you had a built trans and all the goodies and wanted to tow with a 450HP+ tune then there would be some difference if you wanted it really fine tuned.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
i have to respectfully disagree....yes a tune that works for both is no problem but a tune thats optimized for one will not perfectly suit the other...

ive found in my tinkering low boost with higher timing has produced the best mileage...however also higher then stock egts. in my tow tune i have boost raised modestly but i like it to come in quick after about 45-50ish mm3 to help keep things cool. and besides lower timing i have less PW in my tow tune just to help my stock trans out...true this isnt necessary as its all in the right foot but i like not worrying about giving her some juice while going up a hill

·
Registered
926 Posts
How will timing help your transmission?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.