Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, i'm new to the duramax community. I have a couple questions i'm hoping you all can give me some advice. I have a 2007 duramax 2500 classic crew cab short box. (LBZ motor). I use this truck to pull my 30' gooseneck trailer. I haul farm scrap loads ranging from 10,000 lbs up to possibly 25,000 lbs. (5-12.5 ton). Most loads are around 15,000 lbs. My trailer weighs around 7500 lbs alone. So long story short this truck is pulling some major weight. more than most which is why i decided to post this as a new thread. The back end sags somewhat but not as bad as a ford or dodge would.

It pulls the weight rather well. Some hills are a bit tough. My mileage is 8-9mpg loaded or unloaded. it doesnt seem to make a difference if my trailer is loaded or not loaded, (must have something to do with running with tow mode turned on) I'm usually hauling 6 days week. Typically burning a tank of fuel a day depending on how far of trips I make.

My question for you pros out there is what kind of mods would you recommend. My truck is currently stock. It has 101k on it. I'm not lookin to have a screamin loud exhuast or do burnouts. I just want to be efficient and get the job done. Many tell me to buy a chip, but i think most people running chips are only pulling 10-15k. So i'm wonding if chiping this truck would be hard on it because i'm pulling massive weight.
My other question is when carrying such heavy loads should I be running in D or M mode? Which is easier on the transmission. Of course i always leave the tow mode even with an empty trailer.
Any advice you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
168 Posts
I would put exhaust on it for sure, put a kit on with the muffler, it will be louder, but not terrible. It will help keep those egts down. If it was me I would also run some sort of programmer or tuner(EFI with a good tow tune) I would just keep the power low so you dont hurt the trans.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
I would put exhaust on it for sure, put a kit on with the muffler, it will be louder, but not terrible. It will help keep those egts down. If it was me I would also run some sort of programmer or tuner(EFI with a good tow tune) I would just keep the power low so you dont hurt the trans.
I agree and i would get some gauges also even stock with that much weigh you could be seeing some pretty high temps.

· Registered
846 Posts
So far the most that I have had on my truck is approximately a 15,000 load behind. when I am hauling I put my edge into stock or tow mode depending on how much weight is there and basically use it as an egt moniter. ive gotten as much as 18mpg with 12,000 behind me, but the truck definitely runs hotter! exhaust will be a must and id go with a small tune, maybe get a downpipe too?

· Registered
2,624 Posts
welcome...plz fill out your SIG so we know what kind of truck you have!

i would deff get air bags, a 4in down pipe back exhaust with a muffler, maybe some intercooler tubes, a down pipe, if its an older truck an aftermarket filter, and EFI live with a DSP 2 switch with two tow tunes, one with a exhaust brake one without.

· Premium Member
30,104 Posts
Many tell me to buy a chip, but i think most people running chips are only pulling 10-15k. So i'm wonding if chiping this truck would be hard on it because i'm pulling massive weight.
My other question is when carrying such heavy loads should I be running in D or M mode? Which is easier on the transmission.
I haul heavier than that daily…stock…with plenty of untapped power at my beckon. Your truck is pulling the load already, and you don’t have your foot in it yet. Why do you feel you need more power? You’re exceeding the rated capacity with the anchor on back now, and then add more to the other end…you still have the same drive-train components in between, why screw it up? If anything, I’d look into opening up the exhaust if you feel your EGTs are excessive while running stock, otherwise leave ‘er be. JMO. :D

Running in D or M as the easiest? M is just allowing you to control your shift points, and aid in grade braking. I find it best to drop in and out of M, while traversing through traffic. From a dead stop, the TCM will do a better job of selecting gears and shifts than you will manually, so I run in D. Once up to highway speeds, it’s back into M to lock out 6th and run in 5th. Slowing and/or braking, slower moving traffic, then it’s back into M again.

You don't have it listed in your sig...are you not running air springs on your truck with those loads? 8.8-9.5 mpg with that trailer empty/loaded is about right.

· Premium Member
10,627 Posts
Hauling that much weight, I wouldn't add any power at all. that will just give you higher EGT's and more potential to break things. I would look into an exhaust to help keep things cool. After that, see if you can get an EFI tune with a turbo brake, that will make your life a lot easier with heavy loads.

Like Hook'em said, usually D will work fine, but I like to use manual mode for a little more agressive downshifts to help with engine braking.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where do i change my sig?
Everything on my truck is currently stock. I've looked into some helper springs thinking this could help me out? As far as wanting more power I'm not necessarily looking to add alot I was just wondering if the upgrades would be healthier for my truck In the long run? Thanks for all the replies guys!
You said you haul loads heavier than that daily? What are ya hauling?

· Registered
674 Posts
Everything on my truck is currently stock. I've looked into some helper springs thinking this could help me out? As far as wanting more power I'm not necessarily looking to add alot I was just wondering if the upgrades would be healthier for my truck In the long run? Thanks for all the replies guys!

Welcome to the board.

To add a signature go up to the top left and click on User CP its all in there.

· Premium Member
30,104 Posts
Click on "User CP" (upper left), and scroll down on the left to various edit options.

...I've looked into some helper springs thinking this could help me out?
With the weights you have, adding air springs will give the biggest change for the buck. Not only in handling, but braking and front tire wear as well will benefit.

Various things, but the Heaviest items are Confidential stuff made of Marble and Granite. :D

· Registered
674 Posts
That marble and granite is sure some heavy shit but once its pollished up sure looks sweet.

· Registered
6 Posts
hot duramax

hey guys i am new here too. i have a 2007 3500 drw crew cab all stock. i tow a 53 foot car trailer. when loaded i can exceed 20k lbs. onec in a while when i hit a long uphill grade in the road my temp can go up to 240-250. as soon as i hit the top and level road again the truck cools right down, anybody have a fix to keep it cool under these demanding conditions. the truck normally runs around 210 all day long even with a heavy load, doesnt get hot until i hit a long grade.

· Registered
210 Posts

· VAGITARIAN :)
8,062 Posts
Some hills are a bit tough. My mileage is 8-9mpg loaded or unloaded. .
Really???With an unloaded LBZ,you should EASILY get from 13-17 mpg's,possibly a few more on the highway,if you are getting 8-9mpg's unloaded,when you load the trailer you'd be getting a lot less than 8-9 mpg's........Welcome to the forum though!Probably the BEST thing to do is use the search box up at the top,it'll give you tons more info than us trying to explain all the in's and out's of your new truck!!Odds are if someone needs the info,we have a thread,possibly a DIY with pics etc.
Enjoy your new truck and welcome again

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I don't have a trailer i get around 15mpg. I think turning on tow gear automatically drops the mileage. But don't forget my trailer weighs over 7k. I would think when it weighs well over 20k the mpg would be worse idk. As far as scales i guess i'm not totally sure what the regs are for standard pickup trucks. Never ran into dot as of yet!!!! Knock on wood.
Btw thanks again for all the input on my topic I started!

· Registered
6 Posts
towing

i would not increase hp just gets hotter
get yourself and exhaust brake a good
4" exhaust {i put duels on mine just for looks]
stock intake go as it gets keep and eye on trans fluids {colour] go to a good synthetic rear end fluids 75/140 amsoil or what ever
p.s. don't get into a accident have fun

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.