Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum thing so bere with me. Probably won't do this to often.
Purchased a 2018 GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab Denali last year with the intent on buying a bigger trailer (fifth wheel). I was looking at 34 to 38 foot with a pin/hitch weight between 1900 and 2500 lbs.
Here are the stats on the truck, sticker on the door for the 20" tires says 1995 lbs cargo and passenger weight, the other sticker has the GVWR 10000 lbs, GAWR FRT 5200 lbs, GAWR RR 6200 lbs.
One of the RV dealers says no problem on 2500 lbs pin weight the other dealer won't even sell me a hitch because of the size of the trailer I wanted. (same trailer at both places). The car dealer and the GM website says 15 to 25 percent of the trailer weight up to 3000 lbs.
I am so confused and ready to buy a one ton dually.
SO with that has anybody got any insight what the real story is or where I can go for more info.
Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
You need to consider the trailers weight compare that to what your trucks max is suppose to handle.
Then you don’t tell the hitch company what trailer your looking for, your still shopping, just tell them you want a 5th wheel hitch with a high weight.
Mines a REESE 16k, which is above my trucks max trailer weight listed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max trailer weight is listed as 13500. The fifth wheel that I was has a curb weight of 11200 and GVWR of 14000 but that is with all the water and waste tanks full (and will not haul with that).

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Sounds like the hitch guy has a problem, his only concern should be the trailers weight not maxed out besides your only talking about 500 pounds.
But it doesn’t matter what you say, he doesn’t know what you’ll haul and IMO it’s none of his business.

Find another hitch company and request a 16k 5th wheel hitch, leaving out what your looking at for a trailer.
My trailer weighs 13,500 loaded, full of water 100 gallons, 26 gallons of fuel, gray and black tanks empty.
Same trailer with my F250, there was never a concern, with the hitch company.

Reactions: Ar Dub

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
or the 20" tires says 1995 lbs cargo and passenger weight
The most important spec to pay attention to.^^ Not a lot there after everyone's on board.

....and GVWR of 14000 but that is with all the water and waste tanks full (and will not haul with that).
Yes, you'll reach the gross in no time.....things stored add up over time.
Fresh water....one of the best things about pulling your own home on the trip....your own clean bathroom, when it's needed and not waiting on the next fuel stop. marx
Plan on the max and depending on the mfr and how it's loaded, PW will vary in % (their estimates are just that, estimated)
There's plenty of room in a 33-35' @12.5k lbs 5er.
The truck will pull whatever building you can find a way to attach it...you're weak link on the 20" wheeled 2500, is the rear tire's weight capacity....which you'll be at or exceed easily...before you even hook on.

Scaled down on the 5er or scale up to the DRW that should be pulling it.
JMO.

Reactions: XtremeDMax

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Most of the trailer manufacturers have a users web site. Register for access. Ask the question about your particular trailer model: Does anyone have ACTUAL SCALE WEIGHTS for their trailer and the ACTUAL PIN WEIGHT, loaded up, in use, going camping, with the max possible load they would anticipate. Consider what additions you may make to the trailer, additional batteries, solar equipment, another air conditioner, etc. I never planned to travel with full tanks, but I have done that on occasion.

I'm always over my GVWR when towing, and I'm pulling a 30 ft 5th wheel. If you want to base your buying decision on a guess, go ahead. I hope it turns out well for you. My choice would be different. I learned the hard way, bought the truck first, then bought the trailer.

Reactions: GMC-GDM

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Purchased a 2018 GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab Denali last year with the intent on buying a bigger trailer (fifth wheel). I was looking at 34 to 38 foot with a pin/hitch weight between 1900 and 2500 lbs.
Here are the stats on the truck, sticker on the door for the 20" tires says 1995 lbs cargo and passenger weight, the other sticker has the GVWR 10000 lbs, GAWR FRT 5200 lbs, GAWR RR 6200 lbs.
One of the RV dealers says no problem on 2500 lbs pin weight the other dealer won't even sell me a hitch because of the size of the trailer I wanted. (same trailer at both places). The car dealer and the GM website says 15 to 25 percent of the trailer weight up to 3000 lbs.
SO with that has anybody got any insight what the real story is or where I can go for more info.
Appreciate any help.
You need to look in the Diesel Supplement for the correct weights for your truck.

Reactions: Ar Dub

·
Registered
39 Posts
Appreciate any help.
I had a similar issue. Found a 5th wheel that had pin weight of 2100 lbs. ALL GM info (tech publications, web site truck builder, even the dealer, etc.) said the Chevy 2500 2WD diesel truck had payload capacity of 2803 lbs so we bought it. Went to pick up the trailer and found my door jamb sticker on the truck said 2300 lbs. RV dealer would not let us take the trailer off the lot. Fought with GM for 7 weeks and "traded up" (more money) to Chevy 3500 with payload capacity of 3456 lbs.

Very frustrating 7 weeks, but so glad we are using a truck that is capable. Do not over exceed your payload (door jamb info) no matter what anyone tells you. Lawyers will be unforgiving if anything negative happens.

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have always owned duallys and so many of my friends have said it was overkill for towing most trailers. But, I learned something from the weigh master at my local scales. He called it a "Reality Check". He told me right before my next trip, to load everything into truck and trailer; fuel, water, horses, generator, firewood, clothing, food, and people if possible and bring the rig in. Staying in the truck with my wife (only passenger) and pulling the entire rig up in increments, he weighed the front axle, then the truck, then the truck and trailer, then pulled the front axle off the scale and weighed, then the whole truck off the scale leaving just the trailer to be weighed to get a realistic view of total weight and weight on each axle. I was towing a tandem axle Trails West gooseneck living quarters horse trailer that weighs 8500 pounds empty, not really a heavy trailer. Overkill? Not even, as I was well over 11,000 lbs on my rear axle and my four tires maxed out at just shy of 12,300 pounds. I was safely under the max weights but I read these threads and see my friends rigs and are shocked how far over their capacities they are, especially their gross tire capacities, tires being the weakest and most dangerous link. This was on my 2002 HD3500 DRW DM/A back in 2011. My 2009 has a larger GVW and tires with more weight carrying capacity but I still tow the same trailer and similar weight. Then seeing how much weight was on the tandem trailer with two fat horses and too much "stuff" in the trailer taught my wife and I how to REMOVE all excess "stuff" that was unneeded and replace the necessary items with paper or plastic items. I would much rather own and drive a crew cab 2500 shortbed because they are better looking and easier to park, but I don't like to defy Mother Nature and her sometimes cruel sons Physics and Gravity. "Don't mess with Mother Nature" is more than a cliche. I still have the vision of a Dodge dually accident where the overloaded gooseneck trailer snapped the ball and broke the chains and sheered off most of the top of the cab of the truck and the resulting fatalities were horrendous. So go weigh your rigs loaded, read ALL your weight capacities and compare! SAFETY FIRST!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pin Empty 3015
shipping weight 13,300 lbs
gross 17,000

Changed my tires to 285/65/20, Weight rating of 3860ea. Added super springs and bags.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Pin Empty 3015
shipping weight 13,300 lbs
gross 17,000

Changed my tires to 285/65/20, Weight rating of 3860ea. Added super springs and bags.
What you should have added was a DRW, when that gets caught in a good crosswind hopefully it doesn't blow you into oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What you should have added was a DRW, when that gets caught in a good crosswind hopefully it doesn't blow you into oncoming traffic.
Been thru cross winds with no issues. Thanks for the well wishes.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Our rig is 24040# traveling weight at last scale.
2900 pin
I have rear bags but only run about 25psi to make the bridge joint dips nice.
My tires were over so replaced with 285's to be covered as i was about 500# over on them.
tows like a dream, tracks fantastic in a cross wind.
11.2mpg loaded

But my next truck will be a 3500, but staying SRW

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pin weight will be the issue. You will exceed GVWR pulling a 5er just like everyone else. We couldn’t find the 3500SRW we wanted so went with a TT and 2500. We still exceed GVWR on our 2500. When we actually weighed it, the truck is MUCH heavier than manufacture numbers which subsequently lowers the available payload, which is going to be largely pin weight. Just realize your limits with the 2500 and make sure you do not exceed tire limits. You’ll be close to rear axle limit too.

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a co-worker asking why my 1500 Sierra Denali couldn’t tow my 12,000 lb travel trailer when his F-150 was rated to tow 12,500. When I mentioned payload, hitch weight, GVWR and axle limits he just looked confused.

There is so much more that goes I to safely towing heavy trailers than just the advertised amount you can tow. I would also venture a guess that people would exceed their factory hitch capacity if they get anywhere close to the published towing capacities. If you have 5% tongue weight on a 12,000 lb trailer maybe, but it is likely closer to 12-15%. Add a WDH, passengers, and anything in the bed and you’re over several limits.

I know I’ve exceeded limits with 1500 frames before but it isn’t worth the liability. In an accident you’re on the hook for everything.

Our next truck will be a 3500 SRW unless the payload numbers for 2500 trucks improves substantially. I would include a CAT scale empty weight as part of the test drive. The published empty weight is full of hopes and dreams. Our 2013 CC LML weighs 8,000 empty. I have the slip and was surprised to see I have less than 2,000 lbs payload left after I get in the truck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The door jam sticker is the key, if your looking at a fifth wheel or travel trailer its simple math. My door jam shows 3501lbs for my 3500 SRW, my dry hitch weight is 2500lbs. That leaves roughly 1000lbs, for the hitch, cargo, people and fuel. I just cringe when I see a 2500 towing a trailer that I know is over it's legal weight limits. The trucks are not hard to come by, and the 3500 doesn't cost any more to buy than a 2500. Our truck sits almost perfectly level while hooked up, stock suspension... no bags etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Appreciate any help.
I just looked at the stickers on my truck and nowhere does it say "cargo and passenger weight" (pics attached)

However, regardless of this, I made the following conservative calculations on my 2500 when wanting to tow a bumper pull enclosed car hauler with one small car and furniture in it.

GVWR 10000
COO Shipped Weight 7646
Gross Payload 2354
36 Gallons Diesel 253.8 (7.05/gallon) (not sure if COO weight included any fuel or DEF)
7 Gallons DEF 63 (9/gallon)
Tonneau Cover 80
Rear ball mount 50
Front ball mount 50
Weight distributing hitch 150
Tools 100
2.5 gallons spare def 22.5
Driver & 1 passenger 400 (200 ea)
Clothing/food etc 100
Payload remaining 1085
15% weight on hitch 7233 max gross trailer weight (is is the calculated max GTW - not the 10K GTWR that the trailer is designed for)
trailer empty 3500
remaining payload for trailer 3733
Car in trailer 3150
remaining for other items 583 (not a whole lot for furniture)

Yes, you can use 10% tongue weight and have up to 3350 remaining as it's a 10K trailer but the trailer has to be loaded carefully to maintain tongue weight at 1000 lbs (10%)

Attachments

Reactions: GMC-GDM

·
Registered
37 Posts
When it gets close to the limits, just weigh the truck, it costs $11 at a CAT scale. Your sticker will tell you GVWR but it won’t tell you what the vehicle weighs. If you go with the brochure numbers for curb weight of the vehicle, you will be less than what your truck actually weighs. My 2500 is almost 1,000 lbs heavier on curb weight than the brochure states. The reason is that the manufacturer needs to provide a weight for a bodytype but options and accessories will change it.

Lastly, check your stock hitch. My hitch is a Class V 1,500 lb hitch. My tongue weight is close to 1,500 lbs before I add another 150 for the WDH. Again, you can be within limits of most ratings but exceed others like tongue weight.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts