Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I ran into what I would consider my worst case scenario while fully loaded down around 16k. I live in Arizona and we were going to the mountains to get away and I found myself in at a 0-5MPH crawl up a 4% grade for several miles mid-afternoon in 114* ambient air ( A small brush fire closed down the HWY ). This lovely event happened over the course of around 3 hours on a two lane hwy with no exit and hardly a shoulder to pull away for something my size. I quickly found myself at 250-270* trans and 230-250* coolant. I was able to successfully make it to the shoulder twice and it took 30 minutes for a cool down ( trans 215, coolant 190 ) and would not go lower. I did get several warns of hot trans idle motor, etc.. but no CEL.

Needless to say I am doing a full Eng oil, Trans oil and coolant flush this weekend to get the funk out.

I am running tunes by Motor ops w/ TCM ( using heavy tow while under large loads ) so I do know my trans pressures run higher and thus deliver higher than average temps under normal operation but I feel there is more that I can do to make things more efficient and safer going forward.

I've been searching for aftermarket trans coolers and information and cannot come up with any product that would relocate to a better position in front of the coolant stack specifically for a 16 LML.

Mishimoto does have Universal kits-
PPE has the Mike L style cooler but not for the later LML applications-
BD Diesel stack w/ fan but I am leery when dealing with the hassle of replacing burnt out fan motors or how often they would fail.

With the installation of any of the above products I would be pairing to a Mag Hytec pan for more capacity and see where we can go from there.

If anyone has installed or currently run these I would appreciate the feedback and a little insight in fighting heat issues in the southwest under load, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
This weekend I ran into what I would consider my worst case scenario while fully loaded down around 16k. I live in Arizona and we were going to the mountains to get away and I found myself in at a 0-5MPH crawl up a 4% grade for several miles mid-afternoon in 114* ambient air ( A small brush fire closed down the HWY ). This lovely event happened over the course of around 3 hours on a two lane hwy with no exit and hardly a shoulder to pull away for something my size. I quickly found myself at 250-270* trans and 230-250* coolant. I was able to successfully make it to the shoulder twice and it took 30 minutes for a cool down ( trans 215, coolant 190 ) and would not go lower. I did get several warns of hot trans idle motor, etc.. but no CEL.

Needless to say I am doing a full Eng oil, Trans oil and coolant flush this weekend to get the funk out.

I am running tunes by Motor ops w/ TCM ( using heavy tow while under large loads ) so I do know my trans pressures run higher and thus deliver higher than average temps under normal operation but I feel there is more that I can do to make things more efficient and safer going forward.

I've been searching for aftermarket trans coolers and information and cannot come up with any product that would relocate to a better position in front of the coolant stack specifically for a 16 LML.

Mishimoto does have Universal kits-
PPE has the Mike L style cooler but not for the later LML applications-
BD Diesel stack w/ fan but I am leery when dealing with the hassle of replacing burnt out fan motors or how often they would fail.

With the installation of any of the above products I would be pairing to a Mag Hytec pan for more capacity and see where we can go from there.

If anyone has installed or currently run these I would appreciate the feedback and a little insight in fighting heat issues in the southwest under load, thanks!
Do something to cool your engine oil better too. Your engine oil was probably near 280-300 degrees with coolant and trans fluid temps like that.

Reactions: tmcdrwww

·
Registered
722 Posts
For engine oil cooler look at either the 17-19 or 20 L5P. The 17-19 will use the same gaskets and oil filter but will need 2 longer bolts which is no big deal for 40% more oil cooling capacity. The 2020 cooler will give 100% more cooling capacity but requires a different oil filter and elbow and a couple of longer bolts.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
For engine oil cooler look at either the 17-19 or 20 L5P. The 17-19 will use the same gaskets and oil filter but will need 2 longer bolts which is no big deal for 40% more oil cooling capacity. The 2020 cooler will give 100% more cooling capacity but requires a different oil filter and elbow and a couple of longer bolts.
I would definitely be more interested in the 20 cooler over the 17-19 if I could find a simple, complete parts list available to do it clean/factory looking. I just keep reading a hodge podge of this and that’s. The filter part of it, bothers me none. Also, I’ve never seen anyone put actual numbers to the increase in cooling before. Interesting to see that.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I run a 17-19 on mine. All you need is the cooler, the elbow that goes from cooler to block, gasket set, and the 2 longer bolts. You might have to trim the heat shield on the manifold but nothing exciting. It is really pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
I run a 17-19 on mine. All you need is the cooler, the elbow that goes from cooler to block, gasket set, and the 2 longer bolts. You might have to trim the heat shield on the manifold but nothing exciting. It is really pretty simple.
I was under the assumption that the 17-19 was a direct bolt on and the 20 needed the elbow, trimming, etc?

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
So did you use the 17-19 or the 20 L5P cooler on yours?

I was watching Gale Banks’ cooler comparison videos the other day. He reminds me of a lot of the engineers that I work with in those videos.

·
Registered
722 Posts
17-19 also with this one the plug you need to remove to install OPS for Kennedy lift pump was still 1/2" NPT. The 20 one uses metric plugs which would have required a lil more work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Is there a parts list or write up?

I found the 17-19 L5P oil cooler easily ( GM 12678318 ) but what are the bolt dimensions, seals ( IF different ) ?

Using the 20 would be ideal for the extra capacity but I also wouldn't want to hodge-podge something together and start modifying hard parts just to make it work.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Is there a parts list or write up?

I found the 17-19 L5P oil cooler easily ( GM 12678318 ) but what are the bolt dimensions, seals ( IF different ) ?

Using the 20 would be ideal for the extra capacity but I also wouldn't want to hodge-podge something together and start modifying hard parts just to make it work.
You could pay extra for GM bolts or just go to the hardware store since they are just common 8x1.25 bolts. I cannot remember the length at the moment but it would be easy enough to figure out when you get the cooler. Gaskets are the same and you can buy a oil cooler gasket set that has everything in it.

You do not have to hodge-podge anything to install the 20. Just buy the different cooler to block elbow, oil filter, and maybe trim the heat shield a lil bit which is nothing major and done.

·
Registered
722 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Yeah, I was looking at the 2020 cooler today at work. I think I’m just going that way. Might as well. If I need an add on aux cooler after that I think I’d be trying too hard. 😄

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 2020 Oil cooler part number appears to be GM 12701592.

Is this the elbow that is being referred to?
GM 97941206

2001-2020 GM Engine Oil Filter Adapter 97941206 | GM Auto Parts Nationwide

Yes, that is a 2001-2019 elbow part #.
I think the 2020 elbow part # is 12675428

I also watched the Gale video break down and he mentions a kit in the works - I shot off an email to see if or when it would be available for purchase.

For clarification - Combining the 2020 Pump (GM 12701592) w/ the 01-19 elbow (GM 97941206) - You would be able to plug and play on an LML? or you would use the 20 elbow?

The PN for 20 elbow you've listed (GM 12675428) is considerably cheaper than the other... I don't think that can be accurate but it isn't showing an image.

I believe these are the seals required

Amazon.com: ACDelco 97192666 GM Original Equipment Front Oil Cooler Adapter Gasket: Automotive
Amazon.com: GM Duramax 2500/3500 Diesel 6.6 Oil Cooler install Kit 2001-2010: Automotive

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I was looking at the 2020 cooler today at work. I think I’m just going that way. Might as well. If I need an add on aux cooler after that I think I’d be trying too hard. 😄

I think I am going this route as well - @ShopSpecialties has really been helpful. Many props brother! (y)

Now I just hope my Coolant Stack can handle the load of the new Oil cooler.
Do not want to be upgrading my waterpump or radiator unless I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I also watched the Gale video break down and he mentions a kit in the works - I shot off an email to see if or when it would be available for purchase.

For clarification - Combining the 2020 Pump (GM 12701592) w/ the 01-19 elbow (GM 97941206) - You would be able to plug and play on an LML? or you would use the 20 elbow?

The PN for 20 elbow you've listed (GM 12675428) is considerably cheaper than the other... I don't think that can be accurate but it isn't showing an image.

I believe these are the seals required

Amazon.com: ACDelco 97192666 GM Original Equipment Front Oil Cooler Adapter Gasket: Automotive
Amazon.com: GM Duramax 2500/3500 Diesel 6.6 Oil Cooler install Kit 2001-2010: Automotive
You have to use the 2020 elbow with the 2020 cooler. It is larger and different bolt pattern on the 2020 cooler. The block side of the elbow is the same. The elbow to cooler gaskets are different so you will need that along with the other ones.
I would not waste $$$ giving it to Banks when you can buy all the same parts cheaper.
Your cooling system will be fine.
Here is a pic of the 17-19 and 20 side by side showing the difference where the elbow bolts on.
F14C3FB8-E1A5-4C54-ADA4-3D0E2B6B8E84.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
I think I am going this route as well - @ShopSpecialties has really been helpful. Many props brother! (y)

Now I just hope my Coolant Stack can handle the load of the new Oil cooler.
Do not want to be upgrading my waterpump or radiator unless I absolutely have to.
The radiator will be fine.

My trans temps are good but I might upgrade that cooler as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright, now to address the trans cooler.

Mishimoto makes a cooler for 11-14 LML - Why does it not apply to the 15/16? The only thing I can think of would be a difference in the quick disconnect style connectors to the trans line, or the CNC machined hose barb fittings do not match the thread pitch.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts