Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some input from you guys who have done this or have knowledge about it in general. I have some camping trips planned this year that I want to take my fishing/hunting boat. Obviously I've towed them separately which takes 2 trips and is time consuming. I'm wanting to tow them at once from here on out. My main concern is safety and am also looking for tips from those who have done it either with a bumper pull or 5th wheel. Am I crazy for wanting to do this? Is there any way to make it safer? No, I will not be getting a 5th wheel to replace my bumper pull.

Trailer = 2001 Wildwood 29ft w/ super slide. Loaded it weighs between 8200lbs-8600lbs.

Boat = 1998 Bass Tracker Pro Team 18ft sport jet 120hp. (aluminum jon style hull) With trailer weighs aprox. 2400lbs

I will be using my Equalizer 4 point sway control weight dist. hitch as always with my camper. Combined length will be within my states length limit which is 75ft. I'd think it would actually be under 65ft which is what my surrounding states are. Most trips will be under 300 miles round trip so I will not be doing this cross country. I wanted get some opinions on this before I order the hitch for the back of my travel trailer. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
I would think you would need the Doubles/Tripples Endorsment on your DL. Not sure on ID but FL only has a CDL to do this with. I know many states, like PA, you have a non commerical weighted DL and can add things like this to it. At very least, read up on how to handle the doubles. They act a bit differently when towing.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Most I have seen that do this have a 5th wheel..... I could be wrong g but it was my understanding that the first towed trailer had to be a pin (5th wheel/gooseneck) and then the second could be a bumper pull..... I could be wrong... If two bumper pulls is legal.... I would recommend a propride or hensley hitch for the camper....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Most I have seen that do this have a 5th wheel..... I could be wrong g but it was my understanding that the first towed trailer had to be a pin (5th wheel/gooseneck) and then the second could be a bumper pull..... I could be wrong... If two bumper pulls is legal.... I would recommend a propride or hensley hitch for the camper....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I think you are right. You can hook a bumper pull to a 5er but you can't pull double bumper pulls. IIRC a 5er attached to a pickup is considered one unit. A pickup with a bumper pull is considered two units. That is why passenger can legally ride in a 5er tt in transit but not a bumper pull.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Triples with two bumper pulls? Don't do it man. I do triples with my 5er and my boat, but wouldn't even think of it if I had a bumper pull camper. I have also heard two bumper pulls is illegal, but don't know for a fact that it is. IMO just not safe.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
1. You are going to be close to 75ft, 29' camper plus 4' tongue, 18' boat plus 4' tongue, 20' truck = 75'. The max combined length to legally tow triple in your state (per your link) is 65'

2. When towing two trailers the first MUST be a 5th wheel or GN. This because of the bumper pull trailers sway problem, hooking two bumper pulls together multiplies this exponentially. No sway control device will 100% stop sway. You could get into a serious tail wagging the dog situation.

If you are doing this 10-15 miles at slower speeds and it wouldn't be a big deal, although still illegal. Doing this at highway speed for 300 miles is a bad idea.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My question is the availability of tow hitch balls with adequate capacity to handle the weight of both vehicles. I was involved with testing of multiple towed howitzers in the USMC years ago and I remember having lots of challenges making it work. Good luck and I think it is doable if you can use sound judgement while traveling.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
While some States require the 1st trailer to be a 5er or GN for pulling doubles, it's not necessary. All of my trailers have a ball/receiver on the rear. I pull double TTs all the time, and you can actually back up two TTs into a drive with a little practice. It'll never happen with a 5er/TT combo, different pivot points between the two.

Your 1st needs to be longer than the 2nd and heavier. 10' over and 4x the weight, You're there already. Brakes on the 1st, not on the 2nd. You're there also with the TT and Jonboat. Not sure if ID has an exception, but Fed limits on length is 65', although RVs seem to get a pass (except in CA?:rolleyes:) in most States.

RV frames aren't usually built with excess capacity and many won't handle the rear load of a receiver hitch. Something to look into, although you'll only have a few hundred lbs of TW from the boat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Two bumper pulls bad idea I would never do it, why do think all the semi tractor trailer pulling doubles are all 5th wheel on thr 1st trailer, its about weight distribution and control, and hookem horns is wrong you can back up doubles with the 1st trailer being a 5th wh, I do it often

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Two bumper pulls bad idea I would never do it, why do think all the semi tractor trailer pulling doubles are all 5th wheel on thr 1st trailer, its about weight distribution and control, and hookem horns is wrong you can back up doubles with the 1st trailer being a 5th wh, I do it often
well it would be kind of funny pulling a second semi trailer on just a tongue. would need a hell of a hitch setup for the weight.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Trailer = 2001 Wildwood 29ft w/ super slide. Loaded it weighs between 8200lbs-8600lbs.

Boat = 1998 Bass Tracker Pro Team 18ft sport jet 120hp. (aluminum jon style hull) With trailer weighs aprox. 2400lbs
I live in Oregon where pulling a double trailer is illegal (wish it wasn't). I go to Idaho a lot and see this all the time. I would think that if your set-up is right and everything is rated for what you are towing you should be OK. I do think there are probably extra precaution and a little practice that are needed to pull the load you are talking but surly doable.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm from Saskatchewan, Canada, where they allow triple trailers (you heard me right, three trailers!!:neener) Anyway, I think you'll be good as long as you have brakes on the lead trailer and the lead trailer has tandem axels. As long as you got that you should be able to counter most swaying.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What you are wanting to do is legal in Idaho. The boat trailer will have to have a tongue weight of at least 200 lbs. Any less it it will most likely sway. Putting 200 lbs on the back of your trailer will lower the tongue weight on the first trailer by 200 lbs. That will most likely get the first trailer into a light tongue weight and may cause sway problems. Any sway in the first trailer will be very bad for the second trailer. That is why bumper pull trailers do not work well with a second trailer. 5th wheel trailers normally do not have sway problems even with light pin weights. You may have to do some reinforcing of the trailer frame to handle 200+ tongue weights.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It is legal in Idaho but many insurance companies will not cover an accident if towing behind another bumper pull. I've seen guys dump four wheelers, lose boats, and have trailers side swipe other vehicles. Won't ever see me do it but I have lots of friends who do but most behind 5ers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would think you would need the Doubles/Tripples Endorsment on your DL. Not sure on ID but FL only has a CDL to do this with. I know many states, like PA, you have a non commerical weighted DL and can add things like this to it. At very least, read up on how to handle the doubles. They act a bit differently when towing.
It is not legal to triple tow in the state of Florida unless it is by permit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also in Idaho myself and am looking into doing this as well. May be even tempted to just try it out to see if its a big issue.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
....tempted to just try it out to see if its a big issue.
Don't text, stay off the phone, pay attention to what you're doin', stay steady and make long gradual lane changes.

The slightest over-correction of steering will have a snapping Bullwhip effect at the tail of the train.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I pull a 25 ft Jayco bumper pull with my 4 wheelers behind most of the summer. Have had several issues of the back trailer swaying severely but haven't flipped it yet. When I find the swaying going on is when I get behind a semi and it seems the air flow from the big rig over my trailer causes the back trailer to sway. Back off or pass and the swaying stops. Have gone to Utah and back and all around eastern/central Idaho so far for 3 years with no problems. YMMV! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts