Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I have an 05 LLY that I tow my 4000 lb boat with from Wisconsin to Florida. Gotta love that power but she has 210,000 miles on her and is starting to show it. I am considering a new Colorado diesel but wanted to hear from any of you that have real word towing experience with one before I look to far.
Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
What is "showing its age" mean to you? Most people with 210k miles are just getting going. There's some people with over half a million miles that still tow daily.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
What is "showing its age" mean to you? Most people with 210k miles are just getting going. There's some people with over half a million miles that still tow daily.
This assertion has nothing to do with the OP's question.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
210k miles ain't nuthin'. I took summer of 2013 off and went and towed campers all over the country with my 2002. Put 30,000 miles on it in 3 months. ........ It had 275k on it when I started that little adventure.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Boats are pretty aerodynamic and if I’m not mistaken the diesel Colorado has a tow capacity around 7600lbs. While it won’t pull as good as your truck now, you should have no problems pulling a 4K lb boat.

We have made the same trip “but leave from Michigan” with out 5800lb camper in tow behind my wife’s Jeep GC ecodiesel 3 times now and left the Dmax at home. While it is not the truck, it returns about a MPG more and does just fine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It is beginning to rust in a lot of places and I am getting to the area where the question is "what is going to break next while I am on a trip?" Had the t-case pump rub bite me on returning from Montana last year. Had that replaced. Head gaskets are likely next. It needs a FPR as it is surging at idle. Water pump? radiator? brake lines? Fuel lines?
What is going to strand me on a trip is what I am worried about after 13 years in the rust belt.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
^^^^ This ^^^^

Don't forget break lines or fuel lines, as those are not a matter of IF, but when!!

If I wasn't such a cheap ass, I would be rolling in an LML buy now. I look, but when I punch the numbers in, I close the internet page. Just hard going from a truck that has been paid off for 6yrs to another car note.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts