Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gear is best to tow in. The owners manual really doesnt state this. I have towed everything from 3 thousand pounds to 10 thousand pounds. For lighter loads I have just left it in drive, but for heavier, I pull in third with tow/haul mode on.
Thanks,
HEEP

·
Registered
352 Posts
What you need to do when your towing in od is not let it bog down, so Id say put it in tow haul mode when your getting up to speed or in town or going up a steap grade then onece your cuising like 60mph or more throw it in OD

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
More often than not if its in drive with the tow/haul mode on it will downshift when needed. Just stay off the cruise control in the hills. Other than that, drive it and keep an eye on temps and such. I think you'll be fine. 10K is nothing, really.
I have a customer with an 2006 LBZ and he pulls around a 35K lb backhoe and gooseneck trailer. He loves it.

BTW - Welcome to the forum and great first post! :thumbsup

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Tow haul mode, in Drive. pull it down a gear if you need to but other than tha just let the trans do it job, trust me the allison wont do anything to hurt its self. ME with a stick truck i very rarely have to drop below 5th but usually 5th on the 2 lane roads, and 6th on the 4 lanes , speed limit permiting that is:D !!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tow haul mode, in Drive. pull it down a gear if you need to but other than tha just let the trans do it job, trust me the allison wont do anything to hurt its self.
That is what I do :getrdone

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone. I have been basically doing what you have said. I just did not want to hurt anything.
HEEP

·
Registered
352 Posts
The alison is a smart and strong trans it should do a good job of taking care of its self.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine is a 6-speed, and I always tow in 6th gear. The most I've towed is just under 6K. I know that isn't much. I've had no problems with OD towing though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep, just put her in D & tow haul and go on!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
when they said the allison is a strong tranny,i'm here to say it is next thing to bullet proof..it will put serious fight up before it gives up..read my sig and believe me with the almost stock tranny and pushing an extra 300 to 350hp thru it plus the stock hp well i just don't know of a better tranny that would hold up to that kind of abuse:help i don't do a whole lot of towing but i always put her in drive and never look back:fart :rockin92k and still runnin strong:drinkhope this helps..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts