Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Fabulous write up! And I’ll add… as with most things, just because you CAN (tow something legally) doesn’t always mean you SHOULD.

Safe and comfortable towing usually matches up with a truck’s capabilities, but not always. That doesn’t apply as much to this Duramax crowd, but the topic comes up repeatedly at the RV forum I help manage. (Such as Ecoboost F-150 owners who think their truck will handle a 35’ TT that weighs 11.5k effortlessly, because on paper the truck is supposed to be able to tow 12k. Then they find themselves white-knuckling the trip while the trailer sway pushes them all over the road.)

If you’re new to towing, or towing larger trailers, it will always pay to ask more experienced haulers—and to sincerely consider their advice.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The trailer came with a 1995 Ford F350 and I was trying to figure out how much that truck could actually tow
The Trailer Life Towing Guides are a good resource to look up various makes/models of trucks (from 1999-current) and their factory towing specs.

Normally I might have said that the 1999 guide could give you an idea of where your 1995 falls, but Ford F-series generations went from 9th to 10th in 1997, so even the oldest Trailer Life data would be for a newer generation than what you have. I'm not familiar enough with 1990's Fords to tell you the differences. I'd recommend going to the source (i.e. Ford.com) and see what documentation you can find. Or call a Ford dealer and ask what they can offer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
its a 40 foot camper and is supposed to be around 12000 dry an by the time i put my bike in it and supply's well who knows after that
Thanks for your public service! I too am prior law enforcement, although I never worked commercial truck enforcement so that’s not an area of expertise for me.

I do think it’s a responsible effort for any trailer hauler, to run their loaded rig across a truck scale and know their general weights. (Empty weight from the brochure is fairly useless, since nobody tows them empty and those weights are often understated by the manufacturer anyway.) The other half of the equation is comfort level while towing, which you also mentioned and that develops over time especially knowing you are within your truck’s intended abilities. The two factors work in tandem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts