Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaving town with my toy hauler next weekend and went to see what it would take to set the weight distribution up correctly. I have a 6" lift and 35's with a height of 38" to the top of the receiver and 18" to the tounge on the trailer take 3" off for the ball and I need a 13" drop (mabey a 11 or 12 loaded) my trailer is about 12k and the tounge is probably #1400-#1500

I thought I could make this work with the 2 1/2" reciever but cant find anything that works. please help I am afraid I just bought a $50, 000 truck that can't tow my trailer....can you say divorce...:confused:

·
Registered
262 Posts
what do you mean by 3/4 ton truck. more capacity or less

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have blocks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like a typo on my part it is not a 38" hitch height it is a 26.5" hitch height. thats what I get for typing late at night

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the rapid hitch but I need the weight distribution style for the load I am pulling. my tounge load is in the 1400 range

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How will a pintel help me distribute the weight to level my tuck and trailer? If I just drop the trailer on the ball I get a 4" drop in the rear of my truck and a 3/4" lift on the front

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you talking about your truck's springs sagging if so put air bags on it or add a leafs. If not i don't understand sorry.:confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry, yes the spring sag is the problem. I talked to the tech support at reese and they told me that if I have to use air bags to level my truck then I do not hae the proper weight distribution setup. They said air bags should only be used for ride quality and not to level. I know I can get the rear lifted with air bags but the front will still be unloaded and a little squirly in the wind

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Unfortunatly your probably not gonna be able to do what you want. When you lift a truck all the geometries change (obviously) bumper hitch height etc. Most people including myself wont lift a truck because it looses its functionality.

Your trying to use a Reese weight distrabution setup. Theses setups are made to haul heavy loads if you try to lower your pulling point from the 26.5 hitch then your gonna start lowering the amount of weight you can tow.

Now IMO the simplest thing you could do is get a spare set of stock wheels and throw some stock 245/75/16 on them for towing. Honestly If your towing a 11-12K trailer then the last thing I would want on my truck are 35's. You will have tire roll and they will sway no matter what you do. Plus the extra tire height will be hard on your truck when towing.

Options

1. Get some spare tires (safest by far)
2. Lower the truck
3. Lift the trailer :rolleyes:
4. loose the weight distrabution hitch and get bags

They said air bags should only be used for ride quality and not to level. I know I can get the rear lifted with air bags but the front will still be unloaded and a little squirly in the wind
I know alot of people that use bags for correcting trailer height while towing. I honestly cannot tell you why reese said not to. :confused: Also if you did install the airbags then that would raise and strangthen the rear so the front wont be unloaded when you have the trailer on.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
186 Posts
What is your concern weight distrobution or sway control. I have an equalizer hitch witch offers both. Its easy to set up and sets my truck level as stock when set up properly. I don't however run a lift on my tow rig, that luxury is saved for my 84 K10. Which I can coment on the air bags. I used to pull a small 18' travel trailer with that truck lifted at 6 in the front and 4 in the rear. I used no sway or weight distorbution in the begining but wanted to correct the sag so I installed air bags. What a mistake for me. I introduced a sever sway problem which scared the sh## out of my wife and I so I baught the equalizer hitch which in return rendered my air bags usleless as for what I wanted them for. So my two cents is get a better weight distributing hitch and forget the air bags you dont need them at this point, but I will tell you this, at 11 to 12K towing weight you are maxing that stock receiver. I have an 11000lbs GVWR with my toy hauler and I estimate to only have pulled at the most 10000lbs and I have noticed the pin holes are staring to waller out on mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After spending a week trying to get a hold of reese I came up with a solution. My stock reciever is 2 1/2" and can handle #13,500 so no problem there but there is no deep drop available for a 2 1/2" so I got a reducer to 2" which allowed me to get the reese 9 3/4" drop shank and the heavy duty hitch head and truniun bars which handle #17,000 trailer weight and #1700 weight distributing hitch weight I also used a #14,000 2 5/16" hitch ball and the reese heavy duty dual cam sway control.

I had to crank the bars all the way up to transfer enogh weight to the front axle but the net result is a level trailer and tow rig that on my first pull saw cross winds in excess of 70MPH for 200 miles with confidence and control.

I would not recomend anyone get a bumper pull trailer that requires this much tounge weight with a lifted truck but if you are like me and need a 4 wheel drive ground clearance and the pathetic 2 wheel drive like clearance on the new gm trucks is not enough I would recomend this combonation. It is within the design limits of all the components and a very stable platform.

Thank you all for your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts