Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question: just purchased my first duramax (2015 Silverado 2500 Ltz z71). Love this thing! Had a Ford F-350 and will never own another ford. Question is when hooking up my travel trailer (around 7000 pounds dry weight and 650 pounds tung weight the rear end drops (squats) about 1.5"s even with a weight distribution system. Is this normal? Thank you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
You should adjust you weight distribution hitch to give equal drop front and rear when loaded. If you have 1.5" drop at the front as well, then you are properly adjusted.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
It's normal. Any year Chevy truck will drop in the back end when you hitch up a trailer, even with a weight distributing hitch.
The weight distributing hitch will lessen the drop somewhat, transferring some of the weight back on to the front axle.

In all my years setting up hitches and tow rigs, I've never heard reference to having the front end drop the same amount as the rear when the WD hitch is adjusted.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It is 100% normal. Every Chevy I have ever seen has the rear end drop a bit. If you don't like it you need airbags. My 2014 sits level when I hook up to my trailer which is around 10k pounds

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Normal... 1.5" drop is nothing. These things have ~3" of rake from the factory. No need for airbags. I would generally only recommend bags for 5ers not TT.

Best thing to do is post a pic of everything hooked up sitting on level ground. From there we can see if you need to make hitch adjustments.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Have you weighed the TW? I doubt you've got just 650lbs on a 7000 TT. That's under 10%. My TT is 5600 loaded and has a TW around 800lbs. It advertises 4300 dry with 470 TW.

·
Registered
445 Posts
^^^^
I was going to say the same thing. That and every truck is going to drop some when you drop weight on it. I find that my DMax squats less than any other truck that I've owned. 1.5" is nothing to worry about at all. I've had 3500lbs pin weight (yes I know I was overloaded) on my truck without any air in the bags and still had plenty of travel in my suspension.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Normal... 1.5" drop is nothing. These things have ~3" of rake from the factory. No need for airbags. I would generally only recommend bags for 5ers not TT.

Best thing to do is post a pic of everything hooked up sitting on level ground. From there we can see if you need to make hitch adjustments.
Why wouldn't you reccomend air bags for a TT only a 5er? First Ive heard this, just curious the reasoning.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts

Why wouldn't you reccomend air bags for a TT only a 5er? First Ive heard this, just curious the reasoning.
A properly sized an setup weight distribution hitch should have the TV sitting level.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Actually you want that bumper to drop an inch or two. The only hitch I have seen that can keep the rig totally level is a Hensley. We were at a park and a guy was bragging about how he could take all the weight and make it equal on front and back tires and did it. On the way out of the park there was a dip in the road and his rear tires came off the ground. With the RWD truck it was a real crowd pleaser.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.