Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Since no one has responded, I’m assuming your talking about limiting the gear to 5th.
Manual shift never go above 5th gear.
You should be able to select manual 5th while stopped or even driving.
Your trans will shift up to 5th gear normal while driving, and downshift normal slowing down even to a stop to 1st gear with the selector in M 5th gear.

Oh I see now. This is my first Duramax so wasn’t sure if it was totally manual operation or what when in L. But from what you say it still functions as a automatic just will never go over the select gear of choice. Cool thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Oh I see now. This is my first Duramax so wasn’t sure if it was totally manual operation or what when in L. But from what you say it still functions as a automatic just will never go over the select gear of choice. Cool thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The great thing about doing this manual shifting is if your towing and you feel it’s time to downshift all you gots to do is push the button to drop a gear or 2.
The Allison is smart but when it comes to towing it can be a little slow reactingq at times.
The same if your in a lower gear and you feel it’s time to upshift, upshift manually, but never past 5th.
This is what most seasoned people do when towing with 20 years or 40 yrs experience, it doesn’t matter

Just remember try to listen to your engine and the rpms and react when you think it’s time, this will make a more pleasurable towing experience.
If your one of those guys that like to crank up the juke box while driving, then this advice probably will not work.

It’s amazing how many times I have to ask my wife to stop talking while traveling, one reason is I think I heard something I need to listen if there’s a problem, the 2nd is just for a little stop talking quiet time, please.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Snip...

It’s amazing how many times I have to ask my wife to stop talking while traveling, one reason is I think I heard something I need to listen if there’s a problem, the 2nd is just for a little stop talking quiet time, please.
The only thing that I hear after I ask my wife to stop talking is the loud thwack as she smacks me. :rofl

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
The only thing that I hear after I ask my wife to stop talking is the loud thwack as she smacks me. :rofl
A cuff upside the head sounds about right. :D

61 - 64 of 64 Posts