Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be towing 7500-8500 lbs and looking for some info on 35's. I've seen some say that a mud tire like the trail grappler or toyo mt sway and aren't as stable as a similar size all terrain. Wanting to run a 35x12.50x20 Toyo MT, but will look in to Nitto Terra G2 or Toyo At II in same size if needed. Thanks!

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
I've towed anywhere from 2k-22k pounds on nitto mud grapplers BFG km2(my favorite tire) and some ATs and they all do the same thing no problems at all

·
Registered
157 Posts
I towed 25k regularly with my 6.7 dually leveled on 35x12.50 17s with a 2" hub centric spacer and the same weight on my mega with 37x13.5022's with zero issues.

Toyo m/T all the time

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was looking at 315/60 and 35x12.5 The metric has a little better max load. Thanks for the input fellas!

·
Registered
747 Posts
My toyos towed just fine in my Cummins. I had almost 4k in the bed alone a few times with pavers and towed 7-8k with it. I will say I feel my toyos wore quicker than my Nitto Terras. Toyos wearing quicker on a diesel are nothing new. There are a lot of people that feel they do.

·
Registered
747 Posts
One thing I dont like about the 315/60s is that its an oddball size. Its nice having a common size in a pinch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good air pressure in the rear 65+psi, preferbaly 70, ive towed alot with low air pressures and my nittos would start cupping with about 8k load and a good 300-400 mile run.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
Good air pressure in the rear 65+psi, preferbaly 70, ive towed alot with low air pressures and my nittos would start cupping with about 8k load and a good 300-400 mile run.
I have to disagree there i won't run more than 45-50 psi

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have to disagree there i won't run more than 45-50 psi
I put 3400lbs in the bed and had around that much in my rears and I could wag the tail pretty well. No way am I gonna tow 8k lbs with 45psi in them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
^^ Very wise words..Not sure what the deal is with low pressure towing.. to be honest it's the first I've heard of it lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
Drastically increase tire wear, road noise, and sway.
I pull my 24' car hauler around 6-7k miles a year all high way 70-80 mph, and I can tell you the time I didn't run my Nittos up I would stop for fuel and instantly see my rear tires getting choppy. I have more air in my trailer tires. 45psi haha:

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
Well with my low pressure towing on 35 nitto mud grapplers i put 30k miles on them had no problems and when I took them off the truck had 12-13/32 on all of them

·
Registered
87 Posts
You adjust for your load, most 10ply tires are rated at max 80psi for x amount of weight. I run a happy medium, everyone will see different results.

All I can say is play with it, but i dont run 70psi unloaded just too rough and not needed, only while pulling. And they dont give 285/55/22 MTs away, so i try to make them last.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
hauled numerous times with my 35" toyo's and they're wearing perfect. no issues at all, always run max psi when loaded.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Always ran enough to keep tpms light off the dodges I think that was 55 psi but one was a dually which changes everything. Never had an issue towing with Toyos but I don't tow for a living else I likely wouldn't have toyos

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Max on the toyo's is 65, so try it there I guess. Thanks for the info fellas

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those that saying that Toyo wear faster than Nitto, they are made by the same company. Same compound. Both are good tires. Get what you like, tires are like alot of things. You get what you pay for.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts